Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner:
I ordered anchor shackles and springs for AA split fins and Mares Volo fins.

The anchor shackles don't work for the split fins because the post is too thin. So, I went with a SS S-hook (.141" x 1.5") from Home Depot. Worked great AND was easier to deal with than the anchor shackles. Cheaper too.

FWIW

Hmmmm - I think you're using the wrong shackle, then... I have sold my spring straps to Atomic Aquatics users and have never received a report of the shackle not fitting. I don't like S Hooks because I don't think they're as secure, and they just don't look as nice.

I do, however, recommend it as a potential solution of the spring is too short. Using S hooks gives you an extra inch or so on either side.

Well, I'm using the following shackle:

McMaster-Carr Tyupe 316 SS Anchor Shackle 3/16" part#35355T13

The split fin post is quite a bit narrower. I squeezed 1 shackle until the two sides where the pin goes met - the shackle was still too loose on the post. The approach worked well with the Mares Volos as the posts are quite a bit thicker.

I don't understand your thoughts on the S-hooks. the .141" hooks are rock solid and (at least on these narrower posts) are extremely secure once they were squeezed onto the post. Given that there is no potential for the shackle screw pin to come off, I prefer them on these narrower posts.

Boogie711:
Hmmmm - I think you're using the wrong shackle, then... I have sold my spring straps to Atomic Aquatics users and have never received a report of the shackle not fitting. I don't like S Hooks because I don't think they're as secure, and they just don't look as nice.

I do, however, recommend it as a potential solution of the spring is too short. Using S hooks gives you an extra inch or so on either side.

Has anyone had any problems by using SS S hooks. This seems like it could be a cheaper and more readily available alternative to the shackles. I would just like to know if it is as reliable. Thanks, Chris

I did my fins the first time with S hooks. Unfortunately this required me to shorten the springs.

When using the shackles I can use the springs the way they came.

For people with bigger feet and/or boots the S hooks might fit perfectly right off. I wear size 10 and dive mostly warm (ish) water so my wet suit booties are not real big or thick.

You can also use stainless steel wleding rod to make the connection but this is usually more work.

DA Aquamaster:
I am looking into producing a small batch of the end fittings needed to add spring straps to your jet fins, turtle fins etc.

They will be milled from 3/4 inch black nylon and will look similar to the ones posted above. I don't know the production cost yet but I am wondering if there any interest out there?

But what about using it (see deatails earlyer in this tread and in theDecoStop)?

I've been using them for some time now, and they work very well. The big advantage of this design is that you do not need to replace the existing hardware. The original SS backes are very stable and will not break or bend, and the blastic part has bery little force actually applayed to it, so you don't have to use Delrin(tm).

( I will be glad to send you photos and precise sizes, as long as you can deal with metric mesurments :))

DA Aquamaster:
I am looking into producing a small batch of the end fittings needed to add spring straps to your jet fins, turtle fins etc.

They will be milled from 3/4 inch black nylon and will look similar to the ones posted above. I don't know the production cost yet but I am wondering if there any interest out there?

I would be interested DA, let me know when you find out a production cost and how many can be produced for that amount.

The SS hooks have an entanglement potential if you like to microanalyze these things. Its difficlut to squeeze the eye completely shut.

Just thought I'd contribute my .02 worth here... I finished my springs straps with everyone's recommendations, using ss shackles and 32 tpi screws, stainless springs and spectra cord in the middle to avoid overstretching. For the cover I used watermaker hose.

Taking the shackle and crushing it down makes a difficult time to get the screw in, which is fine with me... I don't want them to ever come out!

The difference is amazing. Boom, the fin's on, Boom, the fins's off. Very secure and much thanks to all who posted here. I am convincing my fellow divers to do the same with their fins as well.

just a quick suggestion, thread the pin before you compress the shackle. Then just tighten it more once it's compressed. This guarantees it'll line up.

I had to remove the caveline from mine cause of my big feet. just wouldn't stretch far enough. No biggie. Also, they're a bit tight, so I might be trying the S hooks soon.

I will be convincing many people to change to these soon. My friends get pissed off when I get new cool gear like this that they've never heard of. I just laugh, yank on my fins and watch them messing around with their buckles.

Naby:
I would be interested DA, let me know when you find out a production cost and how many can be produced for that amount.

With set up, materials and production costs, the per unit cost is a bit higher than I thought and I need a minimum order of 40 to get a decent price.

So a set of 4 is going to run $10.00 which is about twice what I was hoping for.

Still at $4.52 per spring and shipping from Mc Master Carr, some stainless tig wire from the local hardware store for under a buck and a foot of clear poly tubing for maybe .59 cents, the cost of a set of spring straps would still be well under the $30-$35 E-bay price for a set of spring straps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom