Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used the shackles because that way I didn't need to shorten the springs I had.
With the S-hooks the springs were too long to have a good tension in use.

Just another trick you can use for a small adjustment.

I thought about that as well. My wifes are probably going to be too long. When I do final adjustments for her fitting I will either have to use the shackles or cut down the spring. Since I have a much larger foot, size 12, those springs work great for me. Now I have some new boots coming and I hope that they will work well with my boots and my warm water boots. If not I will have to do something else or I might just have to buy some jets and move the Volos to tropical only duty.

Not sure what the best technique is to cut down springs, but I use a dremmel with titanium cutting bit and then form the end using a vice grip.

Birdman once bubbled...
Not sure what the best technique is to cut down springs, but I use a dremmel with titanium cutting bit and then form the end using a vice grip.

Here's a tip for protecting the shape of the spring when bending the end loops.
Force a slot screwdriver through the coils at the point where the bend will be thus creating an opening into which you can easily force a probe of some sort down the hollow centre of the spring. I use a large shaft phillips screwdriver. Then I can go to work on the coil(s) at the end to be bent at 90 degrees to the rest of the spring and the probe prevents any distortion of the rest of the spring.

My apologies to those of you to whom this is obvious. I, on the other hand usually destroy at least one item before the obvious becomes obvious to me. 8)

John F

JohnF once bubbled...

Here's a tip for protecting the shape of the spring when bending the end loops.
Force a slot screwdriver through the coils at the point where the bend will be thus creating an opening into which you can easily force a probe of some sort down the hollow centre of the spring. I use a large shaft phillips screwdriver. Then I can go to work on the coil(s) at the end to be bent at 90 degrees to the rest of the spring and the probe prevents any distortion of the rest of the spring.

My apologies to those of you to whom this is obvious. I, on the other hand usually destroy at least one item before the obvious becomes obvious to me. 8)

John F

Yea, that's exactly what I do. I use the vice grip for grabbing two coils and making the 90 deg. bend once I have the philips head screwdriver inserted. I also use the vice grip to do minor shaping of the end coils after they are bent. This last step is likely not necessary with s-hooks, but I find it necessary when inserting the spring into delrin blocks.

Birdman once bubbled...

Man that tool is the best. I use it all the time but it was great for trimming the lug stop on the fins to use the S-hooks and works great on the spring as well. I am going to have to get one of those titanium bits though.

If you have fins that won't work with a shackle you can get stainless steel welding rods from most welding shops and, with a little work, fabricate something to work with most types of fins.

I finally got around to doing my spring straps. Thanks for all the good info here.

McMaster Carr has changed the part number on the springs, and you can now buy in quanities of one.

The new number is 3932K54 for a Long Type 302 SS Extension Spring 11" length, 1/2" diameter OD, .062" wire diameter. My springs were really only 10 1/2" long, I guess they measure them before forming the loops! $4.42 each.

I also purchased the shackles from them, they do have a less expensive SS model. It is Type 316 SS Cast Anchor Shackle with screw pin,3/16" and the number is 35355T13, cost $3.00 each. The screw pin is 10-32 thread, so that would be the size needed to replace it with a SS machine screw.

I have mine assembled and will "Test Dive" them tomorrow.

Mike

Thanks everyone for all the info. Just ordered the Shackles and Springes from McMaster Carr (thanks for the part numbers).

I've been reading about spring straps for months. Finally decided to go for it. This was the picture that really got my attention.

attachment.php

With luck I will have them in place for my next dive (reservations at Pt Lobos on Dec 20th) so I won't have to fight with the latches on my Quatros ever again.:) :) :)

RJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom