Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They're a simple device... it is just a spring with a mechanism to attach it to your fin, a piece of line inside to prevent over-stretching and something to protect your boot.

But they slip on, one handed, in 1/2 second. And they're bulletproof, stainless steel, and won't break. The buckles on my old Quattro's used to be an algae trap - have fun going through a kelp bed with those suckers. Spring straps don't have that problem. Sometimes the buckles would also open in mid-dive. Mares tried to alleviate that by putting a locking mechanism on this years buckles... you just don't have that problem with springs.

Is just more crap to mess with and was anoying.

Also, with the design of the adjustment mechanism I could not back thread the strap to eliminate the entanglement point of the rubber strap going into the buckle.

At least on the old jet fins you could thread the strap from the outside to the endside so that the tails end up under the strap and don't grab things. We were doing this in So Cal back in 1978 when I first got certified. It made a big difference in the kelp.

Spring straps don't dry rot and break like rubber straps.:D

I don't have their part number on hand and I think it changed.
The paper that came in the package says,
"W.B. Jones Spring Co Inc.
140 South Street
Wilder, KY 41071
Phone 859-581-7600
FAX 859-581-7700

P/N ST641"

There are some older threads on the board here with more detail.

pipedope once bubbled...
I squeezed the shackle to make it secure on the fin post and that is why the pin is sticking way out.

I then replaced the pin with a screw. The screw is stainless 10-32 x 3/4" also from Home Depot.

Ahh, that is much better.:)

Are you using Stainless screws? If so my Lowes and HD do not sell SS products. Guess if your diving all FW then you don't have to worry about that.

Where are you?
Here in Florida, every Lowes and Home Depot I have been in has had stainless hardware. You have to look closely, it is usually either across the row or down the way.

They can order it for you, ask for the catalog next time you are in the store.

FL..........I see. Well, I'm land locked in OK so they don't carry ANY stainless hardward here in those stores. I have found a small hardware store that I am going to check out today that says if they don't have the SS parts I need they can order it for me. I also talked to a guy last night on the phone with Stainless Products in NJ that was really cool and would send me some stuff if I can't find it locally but they usually only sell products by the case.

West Marine does mail order.
I don't have the URL handy but a search should turn them up.

The shackle is 3/16" and the replacement screw is 10-32.

When I set up fins with plastic posts with spring straps I used ss s-hooks. These are streamlined and when used with shrinkwrap nothing will catch.

Almost have them finished. Found the parts I needed. Used S-hookes instead of the shackles. All I have to do is just size the internal spring keeper to avoid overstretching of spring. Can't wait to try these out. I know several buddies will have to have these when they see how easy they are to make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom