Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:
Lets just say i dont have any of those kinds of tools, so i might just give in and buy the ready made straps, will keep my spare straps for use with the shackles on another set of simple non-rubber fins :wink: Thanks for the thoughts and plans.
I made mine but a friend cut the delrin spacers for me. While it's fun to do this stuff yourself if you don't have the right tools it can be a real PITA.

critterc:
I have been fishing and diving saltwater for about 25 years. Every anchor I have used had a galvanized shackle. Soooo to save money I am trying some 3/16 in. galvanized shackles I picked up at Ture Value. 4 was about $3.25 with tax.

got over 70 hrs in salt water now and not the 1st speck of rust.

Made my first pair a weekend or two ago. Went the cheap route on my cheap US Diver fins to see if I like 'em and used the galvanized springs and S hooks(I know about the rust factor), but wanted to make sure I liked the fit and feel. Gotta say i am sold, now need to make the real ones :) for my good fins.

mddolson:
Here's the spacer block I made.

I had 1" dia delrin rod so I drilled the 1/2 inch dia hole in a laithe.
You could use 1/2 x 1 inch block and drill in a drill press also.
I machined the 3/16 slots down the sides using a milling mashine. A quick and dirty way is to dill a 3/16 hole where the slots end and cut out the rest with a hack saw, then file to clean up. I added two screws at the corners and ss self tapping screws to secure the blocks so the couldn't accidentally pop/fall out.

best regards

Mike D

you dont really need the screws - if you keep the distance between the bottom of the block to the begining of the slot right (10mm, if my memory serves me well), and you insert the block sanwiched between the top of the backle and the moving rod (you will need to insert it sideways and turn it 90deg - I've posted pictures here and in TDS in the past) - there is NO way the block will slip of pop.

I made mine with no more then a simple (1$) saw, a bench press and some filling (I used a dremmel, but you can do as well with simple sand paper). It's really not rocket science.

DA Aquamaster:
I could not find suitable SS anchor shackles anywhere including Mcmaster Carr, but I did manage to find a way to use the existing buckles instead.

Dear DA:

That is BRILLIANT! Your thumbnail is so clean. . .I am tossing the SS rings and getting my prying tool.

Thanks so much for this post!

Tevis

pipedope:
I will peen the end thread on each screw slightly to prevent them from coming unscrewed, after I am sure this is how I want them to stay.

Frequent inspections are also a good idea, as with all dive gear.
Instead of peening the threads on the screws, usa blue loctite. It will prevent them from loosening and you can stil get them apart with hand tools.

Just a quick update:

Ocean tested without the nylon thread keeper. The springs keep constant tension on the back of my heel without any discomfort.

This is one of the coolest innovations on ScubaBoard.

Well done y'all,

Tevis

pipedope:
I squeezed the shackle to make it secure on the fin post and that is why the pin is sticking way out.

I then replaced the pin with a screw. The screw is stainless 10-32 x 3/4" also from Home Depot.

Ahh, that is much better.:)
What department did you find the shackles at HD? Not sure what their intended use is (other than converting to spring straps). Thanks for the pics.Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom