Spring Straps - How snug should they fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of ScubaPro Jet fins. (I got 'em off of a fellow
SB member and I had to buy 'em without trying them on.) I believe that the springs are ScubaPro brand also. The fins and the straps are both XL. My shoe size is 10.5. I tried them on with a pair of size 11 5mil boots.

The fins feel great, as far as comfort goes. I've never had springs, so I don't know how they're supposed to feel. I'm unsure as to how snug the springs should be. Personally, I think that they should feel a little tighter, but I don't know, maybe that is just how comfy springs are supposed to feel.

They're under tension, and don't seem like they'll slide over my heel, though it doesn't take much effort to pull them out, and over the heel of my boots. I haven't tried 'em in a pool yet, but my concern, is when the boots compress at depth. The fins feel great with the aforementioned boots, so I don't know that I want to get thicker boots

So.....how snug should the springs be and how I can I tell if they're fitted correctly? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I make them so they should only be under a small bit of tension when worn. That's my preference, some may like them tighter. Many people find they get uncomfortable over time if they're too tight. I like to have them so they're not stretched more than about 1 inch when worn.

On these, I'd suggest diving them a few times & see how they feel in the water. They shouldn't be loose enough to rub, nor tight enough that they bother you.

Thanks Wayword Son!

If that's the case,(stretched no more that about 1 inch),then these things may be dialed in already. Maybe that's why they're so comfortable. I've always cinched the conventional straps down pretty tight, on my Akona's, so that's what I'm used to. Taking them off on a boat-dive in 4-5 foot swells was a pain and one of the reasons that I'm so eager to use the springs. The Jets probably feel like fins are supposed to feel and maybe I just didn't know what I was missing.....thanks, again!

Taking those bawon't have a chance to dive them until next month....

There is another factor, boot thickness, to consider. Even, it is fine with one wet boot, it can't be wrong with the dry boot.

So they're "not too tight".

I figure this out by doing a couple dives, and if I think "that's too tight" I get a bigger size.

Mine are just under an inch of expansion when seated on the heel.

All the best, James

Would probably be best you actually dive with them so you will know. I think you would probably want to check if you feel they will feel loose (in your case) when you actually dive with it. If not, I would say they are fine.

My wife and I got the same size springs for our fins. I thought they felt fine when I tried them on land and so did she. Her fins are a size smaller than mine and the springs work fine for her. Mine kept falling past my heel on dives and only the sole of my boot kept them on. I've cut 1/2 inch off the springs and they still slip.

The method I followed that worked well was.....

put foot in fin (wearing boot) ....measure from center of nub around foot to center of opposite nub. Take off 2 to 2 1/2 inches and you are good.

Worked for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom