Spring Straps - help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

celticreefer

Registered
Reaction score
hey guys,

i wanted to buy spring straps but wasnt sure which ones to get. i have promate binar blade fins. do i need to buy specific straps for these fins or will any brand do? when you get the straps how do you adjust them to be snug/tight enough to work? Thanks

thanks for the link! because i am an XL fin size, should i just go with the large straps? i assume this must be the case.

thanks for the link! because i am an XL fin size, should i just go with the large straps? i assume this must be the case.

I'm not really sure how they size them to be honest! Maybe you could get a measurement for how long the spring straps are and match it to your foot and fin?

Put your foot in to your fin wearing your normal booties, then measure the distance from pin-to-pin around the back of your heel.

Compare this length with the lengths of the spring straps.

You want the spring strap to be slightly shorter than the distance, so that they are snugly holding your foot in the fin pocket. But not too short.

Even if your stock fin straps have a buckle, the female half of the buckle connected to your fin is usually mounted on a pin. Here's a measurement guide from the LeisurePro website:

How to select your fin Spring Strap
Insert your Dive Boot into your fin pocket, and with a measuring tape, measure the distance from the Center of one pin, around your boot heel, to the Center of the pin on the other side of the fin. Select the spring strap size that is SHORTER than your measurement by 1/2" to 1 1/2".

when you get the straps how do you adjust them to be snug/tight enough to work? Thanks

I don't know if it was obvious from the replies, but spring straps need to be sized for proper fit. They create snugness by being pulled over your foot, the tension created then creating a very snug fit. The springs are flexible and extensible in this regard. No further adjustment is necessary; you just slip them on and dive.

One more thing. It would be better if you could find spring straps without instant release buckles. Part of the benefit of spring straps is that the chances of them breaking (resulting in fin loss) are dramatically reduced. If you post a picture of the female connector attached to your fins (mainly to see what kind of pin assembly is used to secure them), I'm sure someone here would be able to find a compatible spring strap without the quick release buckles.

I have the Apollo spring straps (on Apollo Bio-Fins but I don't think it matters). They mount permanently using a backing plate and a small bracket on the outside.. the whole thing bolts together. Hopefully that makes sense.

Note this is not reversible. Once you install them.. the little 'nub' where normal straps attach is gone. Personally I assume I'll destroy the fins themselves long before the strap ever breaks.. in fact I will probably some day take them off and put them on a new pair!

Just be sure you like spring straps before you do this.

Picture explains it better

p081101.jpg

The guys at Piranha were excellent in helping me get sized correctly and getting the right attachment type. I'd definitely recommend them.

I had to adjust my spring straps the small size was to tite and the med. was just a little loos for my liking > so I pulled the pin and trimmed the excess off with a piare of metal shiers , bent 2 loops of spring out 90* put them back together and they fit to my liking . So if you cant find any that fit just rifgt you can allways change that . good luk . You will love spring straps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom