Spring Springfest after-party thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parysa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey, guys. Just got home a little bit ago. This weekend was SO much fun! We all had our adventures and misadventures, got to sing a little karaoke, burn stuff (but NOT picnic tables this time!), and get wet! Many thanks to Caroline and Clay for setting it up and to Shane for the night dive and the t-shirts. It was great to see everyone again. Can't wait for Vortoberfest!

I agree Parysa!! We really had a great time!! Thanks to everyone who helped set this up and thank you Shane and the staff at Vortex who did an excellent job going out of their way to make us feel welcome and take care of us.
Also thanks everyone for letting us borrow equipment we didn't have or that malfunctioned while we were there. You are truly a great bunch of folks. It was great to see everyone again and to meet alot of new dive buddys. I look forward to the next event!! :)

Denise,
The trailer you brought with you contained a complete dive shop, a full bar setup and half of a Wal-Mart, so what in the world could you have forgot to bring...I can understand the malfunctioning part, especially the aircraft landing light you had with you.

Anyway I had a great time and enjoyed the weekend. Sorry I didn't get to meet more SBers, but I mostly hung out with my fellow Decatur dive club members. Saturday was spent with them on a boat dive plus taking a tour of the Panama City emergency room facilities.

I look forward to meeting up with y'all again

P.S. Denise, next time don't forget your tent, or should I say luxurious mansion, setup instructions.

It was so much fun to meet you, Denise! You are a trip. :D

Well, now that I'm awake, I guess I'll post my Springfest report. I haven't done this before, so bear with me. :wink:
We arrived at Vortex Friday afternoon around 5, checked in, and got set up, then went around and said hi to everyone. The K and Yellow Angel Fish had their "No bad Ju-Ju" towels displayed. We all sat around and talked for awhile and around 7:30, we invaded Sally's with almost 20 people. They handled it pretty well and we had a nice meal, which we always do at Sally's. The night dive took place around 10. I didn't go, but I really ended up wishing I had gone ahead and signed up for it b/c the viz looked great and Saturday night's...well, I'll get to that. Those of us from the 8-12 campsite range all sat around until pretty late drinking and talking. There was an incident with a woman (not from the SB group) attacking a cop and an ambulance coming and her car getting towed. It was funny to see how quick the campsite area cleared when they heard "somebody attacked a cop!" Almost everyone rushed over. A few of us stayed at the campsite and just waited for everyone else to come back, lol. It stormed late Friday night, which was actually pretty nice to fall asleep to.
Saturday morning, Caroline, the K, and Y.A.F. headed out for their offshore dive. I had been thinking about doing that, but the weather was supposed to be nasty all morning, so I decided not to. After hearing how rough the ride was, I'm glad I didn't go. They did get to see some neat stuff, but I'll let them tell about it. :) I did one dive Saturday morning that was nice. The viz was good, the water felt nice, and it was just an all-around good dive. My sinuses were messing up on the second (seemed like a lot of people had that problem this weekend), so I wasn't able to do much. I mainly just snorkeled on top with Andy, who has the bug BAD now, by the way! He is dying to get certified! Saturday night, we had our traditional cookout. After dinner, I decided to go with Denisegg's son's friend on a night dive. The viz was still pretty bad and he was fairly new, so we didn't stay in long, but man, seeing that big old moon from under the water was so worth it. :) Around the time that we were getting in the water, Johnny Mac set up his karaoke and the alcohol started flowing pretty freely, so by the time we got out, it was going at full roar. That was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Trust me, a bunch of drunk scuba divers singing karaoke is hilarious!! :rofl3: Shane extended the non-quiet-time for an hour for us and when quiet time finally came, the big scubaboard camping group collected around a fire (thanks, Tif!) and goofed off for awhile.
Sunday morning, we all got a pretty late start. Andy and I were trying to get a group up to go to Cypress, but no one was interested and my car is too small to carry a canoe, so we just stayed at Vortex. Martin (Flightlead) and Tiffany (Bugtif) shared breakfast w/everyone, which was very nice of them. Caroline, Martin, and I had an...eventful...dive, lol. Viz was still crap, among other things. I had just been planning to do that one, so afterward, we packed up the car and headed home Sunday afternoon. All in all, I didn't end up diving much, but it was a great weekend and we had a LOT of fun. :D

Sunday morning, we all got a pretty late start... Viz was still crap...
Speak fer yerself, there, youngster :)
Some of us were wet before 8 :D - and it was severe clear until the rototillers hit about 9.
Rick

Well Good Morning DDD's! Hope everyone made it home in one piece and most likely have been cleaning and soaking scuba gear like me! For those who could not make the fest...well I am sorry to report you missed a great time! I want to personally thank Shane, the manager of Vortex! He truly was the factor that made this event pretty spectacular! The DJ/Karaoke setup really helped bring out the inner diva's of alot of us! Especially TOM SMEDELY! Truly that was the performance of the night! His rendition of 'Like A Virgin"...well it was unique and truly awe inspiring! I can't wait to see what he does at Vortoberfest!:jb:

I also want to personally thank my offshore dive team and truly great friends, Kraken and Yellow Angel Fish! I couldn't imagine sharing adventures with anyone else! No matter what happened on our offshore trip, it's great that we can truly laugh and enjoy the misadventure! Thank you for making me part of your family! XOXO!

Now for the REPORT:

I got into to vortex before 5pm Friday and of course had to say hello first thing to Dennis and Linda! I then got my campsite setup so all would be done so I would hope to get to bed at a decent hour! (Yeah Rght) WillardJ and his wife were there too. Denise was wanting to do a night dive so I was holding off getting into the water till her and her group got there. At about 7:30pm, we invaded Sally's for our traditional Fest kick-off dinner! We took over the back room and definitely hit the menu hard! You can't beat Sally's Shrimp, burgers, and Sourcream/chive fries! When we got back, Denise was just getting there, but in the end, she was not up to diving.(BTW DENISE...U r AWESOME GIRL!) So a couple of us, decided to go get wet. I was the only one in a wetsuit so after about 20 mins, I was a bit too cold to stay any longer. It was beautiful hanging with the eels and enjoying the full moon from the bottom of the spring! It seems that there were some events happening while I was under water. I guess there was some chick passed out in her car at the campsite and when the local patrol came through, he thought there was something wrong with her. :police: So he tried to wake her up and in the end she came out swinging and beat him with a flashlight! Well needless to say, there was an ambulance, her car got towed and I am still not sure if she went to jail:jail: Got to love SPRINGFEST!

Now of course the area of Campsites 8-12 beacame THE HANGOUT!:meeting: Everyone was up talking till about 2am and I tried to get some sleep, but ended of talking from my tent. It started to drizzle so everyone went to bed. At about 3am the STORM hit! Lord, I was praying that my tent wouldn't leak, and I was surprised when I got up in the morning that BUGMAN had a catastrophic event during the night! He almost drowned in his own sleeping bag!:11: It made for a good laugh and at least, his vehicle accomodates a place to sleep!

Krak, YAF, and myself headed out to our offshore dives. It seems, the Dive Locker did not get my message that we were still a go, so they had added more people to the boat. Sigh, we then were told to go to the Marina at St Andrews park, but we were told incorrectly so in a rush and reloading of gear, we headed to the other marina. Needless to say it was a cluster**** but we got on the boat. It seemed like chaos! We got some gear setup and headed out. It of course was rough as heck and we all took a beating getting to the dive site. YAF was feeling seasick and I was doing my best to hold myself together. :l: But I succumbed to chumming as soon as I donned my gear. Oh well, just get me in the water and I will recover! Krak and I decided to hit the water and YAF stayed topside. I can't remember the wrecks, but Krak can fill you in on their names since he knows the sites so well. It was an ok wreck, but what made it the event for me was the 9' shark :sharks: that decided to pay a visit. He was incredible and thank goodness Krak had his camera! He got some good shots of it, and this beautiful creature allowed me to tag along for a bit. He came back a 2nd time for another go and of course I couldn't resist getting another close up view. We are still trying to figure out the species. I don't know for sure if it was a dusky shark, or a sandbar shark. Once Krak gets me the pics I can use the dorsal and snout to get me more information. All I know, is that I was a very happy girl at that moment! :D We got on board and prepared for the next dive site. It seems that I was doing ok, but once we anchored into the 2nd site, I just got green again! But I am tough and was ready to get in the water again! This time YAF was feeling better and so all 3 of us were going to dive together. I hit the water first, but it seems that YAF had a major issue with here tank. Somehow, her tank got completely drained. Sigh, I decided to head down and wait for them as they got things straightened out topside. There were a lot of fish on this wreck and I liked all the compartments to swim through. No sharks but I did get to hang with a Goliath Grouper for a bit. Krak and YAF finally joined me and we all just hung together enjoying the fish. Finally, I had started to get cold and I had been down alot longer then they had been, but we all decided to stay together and finished the dive as a team. We all got pretty beaten by the boat and were happy to get off of it. I was really feeling bad, mostly beacuse I was just plain exhausted. Somehow my mask ended of MIA but after much bitching, someone finally checked their gear bag and found it! Thank goodness! I was just happy that whole event was over and we all had a good laugh on the way back! It wasn't completely a Bad JU JU free day:no, but it was kept to a minimum this time!

We got back to the campsite and lots more DDD's had arrived! It was good seeing everyone and even new people this year! I got cleaned up, put on my FABULOUS SSF Tshirt:t-shirt: and joined in the cooking! I mixed up my Sharky's Bahama Mamas and got the party started! The DJ kicked things into gear and the evening was set! There were alot of great singers, alot of entertaining singers, and just everyone having a great time! :showtime:
I think we all were laughing in hysterics many times and it was fun to all dance together! :chicken:We shared toasts :cheers:and had lots of love to share with everyone! Again, I cannot thank Shane enough! He has truly brought new life to Vortex! After we shut the party down at the main arena, off we headed back to my end of town to campsite 8-12 again! We had a great campfire with a guitar singing diver, made smores, and just laughed and shared stories! We have such a great group of people! We stayed up till about 2am and were all talking about getting up early (yeah right) to head to Cypress or Morrison!

Well at about 8am some people started rolling out of bed, and it ended up that we all were too tired to go anywhere! LOL! Flightlead and Bugtif made us breakfast and we enjoyed hanging out again. I decided to pack up so I wouldn't have to deal with breaking down a campsite when I was tired from diving. We then got some small groups together for diving at Vortex. Parysa, Flightlead, and myself decided to check out the cavern and take a run to the gate. Things seemed ok but Parysa had some issues and thank goodness everything worked out allright. We learned some things that will stay with us on future dives. This weekend was good training for me and I was glad to have got some more work done on my skills. After 2 dives, I was done for the day, got cleaned up and had some great BBQ! I was all packed up and hung out with KRAK, YAF, BUGMAN, CMUFIELDHOCKEY, PARYSA, and Andy. At about 5:30pm I said my goodbyes and headed home!

Again, I want to say thank you for all those that came, cooked, and partied with us! I wish Clay had been able to come since he was the one who really got the idea of Springfest going! The Tshirts were a great addition, and thanks again to Shane for picking up the tab on them! I am working on the design for the next tshirt and will be also working with Shane on getting the logos for Vortex and Scubaboard on there as well! I hope Vortoberfest 4 will be even better! :D

Happy diving with my friends!
Carolyn:sharks:

PS: LOTS OF PICTURES AND I THINK VIDEO WERE TAKEN....THIS SHOULD BE AWESOME TO SEE!:popcorn: I PLEAD THE 5th, DUE TO THE FACT THAT I WAS UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF NARCOSIS...AKA...BAHAMA MAMAS!

Post-Party Update:

Well I just want to start by apologizing to all scuba boarders who had to witness my awful attempt at Karaoke Saturday Night, LOL. :rofl3:

I am really horrible at it however it was still really fun.

Now that I have that out of the way I can do my report. Friday started with a very nice drive down with the family. We arrived at Vortex around 5:00pm and there were some people already setting up camp and just lounging around. We checked in and got everything setup for the weekend. Upon check-in I saw the t-shirts for Spring-fest had made it there and as I was inquiring about the price, Shane introduced himself and told me he had purchased them and that they were free to anyone who had ordered one. I was like sweet and of course I was totally shocked. This was my first clue as to how nice the rest of the weekend would be. But continuing on I met up with my group of friends that had come down for the weekend and we managed to do two really nice night dives on Friday night. The water was crystal clear and also very calm in fact most of my dive I turned my light off and dove by the light of others and by the light of the moon. It was very full and bright and the sky was very beautiful as well. On my last dive I decided to just rest on the bottom and just lay back and watch the reflections of the moon of the top of the water. It was a very tranquil dive.

Saturday we got up and I completed a total of 4 dives throughout the day. My first dive was very nice and as the day progressed and more people entered the water it lost its clearness that I enjoyed the night before; however I managed to find some nice visibility on the outer edges in about 20’ of water where I spent a lot of time just combing through the rocks looking for hidden treasures. I might add the only thing I found was a bullet casing but I did see lots of interesting rock formations and little cracks and crannies were fish were hanging out. Taking the time to look very closely at the bottom I saw lots of little fish eggs and little animals under the rocks that you would never know were there under normal circumstances.

So much happened that it is hard to get in all in so I will fast forward to Saturday night: The cookout was awesome as always but this party had a much different feel as parties in the past. This one there was more participation with everybody really seeming to enjoy their selves. The addition of the large smoker and his really fine bar-b-q was a lovely addition to the whole weekend and of course the music and karaoke was a blast as well.

I managed to make an attempt at doing a song but quickly realized it was more fun listening to others do it and being an active participant in the crowd, LOL.

I had lots of fun but my one regret is that I missed Smedley’s encore song of “Like a Virgin”.

:rock_band

Well in closing I want to thank Shane and all the staff at Vortex for allowing us to have a great weekend. Also I want to thank the gentleman with the wonderful bar-b-q that was a marvelous stuff.

I was able to meet some of the scuba boarders through out the weekend however I was not able to meet everybody so hopefully next time we can hang out more. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and I look forward to diving with you all in the future.

The pictures are real doozies - will have to let some folks preview them and my standard fee of a cold Landshark with lime as bribe for not posting. Also have some fantastic video that I will have to edit and ask Ricky's help on how to post video. Bribe stands for that too.

The pictures are real doozies - will have to let some folks preview them and my standard fee of a cold Landshark with lime as bribe for not posting. Also have some fantastic video that I will have to edit and ask Ricky's help on how to post video. Bribe stands for that too.

Tom, you gonna use your card:eyebrow:?

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

Back
Top Bottom