Spring life expectancy - Scubapro 2nd stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, Simon! I'll take a schematic. What other reg uses that spring? I am unaware.

You're exactly right. Since both were used in the G250V, then logically there's no reason that 218 wouldn't be backward compatible.

I'm wracking my memory from the equipment seminars trying to remember what the reason for the switch was. It had something to do with clearance, or a coating, or friction. But it was for a different reg. Does the S620Ti use the 218? I can't find a schematic for that reg, though I thought I had one. Actually, I think it was the C350/360/370. That may be where the clearance issue came up...
My memory fails me.

Sent, also a Ti schematic, mine is a little old but uses .216.

Assuming it's backwards compatible and that the change was born out of "performance improvement" a .218 would be the better spring to use in all previous single point of adjustment .216 models. FTR the G260 uses a .216.

Tighter tolerances? super go fast coating?

01.020.216 is the standard spring.

The 01.020.218 spring is manufactured to higher specifications and is more “precise” (not sure the correct spring engineering terminology).

The spring in the C series like the C370 is designed to be a more corrosion resistant version of the 216. I don’t have that part number in front of me at the moment.

All three springs are interchangeable.

01.020.216 is the standard spring.

The 01.020.218 spring is manufactured to higher specifications and is more “precise” (not sure the correct spring engineering terminology).

The spring in the C series like the C370 is designed to be a more corrosion resistant version of the 216. I don’t have that part number in front of me at the moment.

C370 spring 01.020.215

I'll get a few to check out.

Thank you @Sevenrider860 This is what we all suspected, and historically it makes sense. However, we do not have any documentation. By chance do you have a SP Bulletin or other reference stating SP blessing?

C370 spring 01.020.215

I don't have a C370 diagram-could you send it to me please? The latest C series diagram I have is for a C300 dated 2010 and shows the old spring (.216 )

Attachments

• C300-2010-12.pdf
    37.5 KB · Views: 92
Thank you @Sevenrider860 This is what we all suspected, and historically it makes sense. However, we do not have any documentation. By chance do you have a SP Bulletin or other reference stating SP blessing?

I don't have a C370 diagram-could you send it to me please? The latest C series diagram I have is for a C300 dated 2010 and shows the old spring (.216 )

Nothing official that I know of. It was communicated to me during a Scubapro technical clinic and it was something I wrote in my notes.

I have put the corrosion resistant C-Series springs in my S560s and they work fine.

What DA aquamaster posted a long time ago was that SP technicians putting together the regs simply sorted out the springs used in the G250 et al from the ones used in the R190. Like, they got a big batch of springs, supposedly the same, tested them for some tolerance, then used the better ones in the G250s and left the others for the downstream poppets.

The bigger problem is an eventual fracture from point corrosion along a coil.
Saw that just once.
Yep saw that on a G250 second stage, fracture propagated from some rust pits!
So now I go over all the springs with a loupe, and replace if possible.
G250 spring break.jpg

I had a small batch of both types of Sea Hornet LP springs remanufactured in 316 stainless... been unavailable for 20 years!
A fresh spring makes a noticeable difference...
Sea Hornet LP springs.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom