spring fin straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaHump:
I am going to buy a set of these, but they range in price so much. what is the best kind to get and where can I get them on line

Try the Manta spring straps, I have had them for years. There are a lot of LDS that carry them $50 to $65 depending on the style

I got Mantas from Scubatoys, and I like them a lot. I made a dive the other day with them and couldn't even tell they were there. Very nice. I just have to add a bit of cave line to the inside to prevent over-stretching.

Aqua Hump,

Since you have quick release fins, try the EZ Springs. I found them on LeisurePro.com pretty cheaply. They're $31.95 for metal connectors (Pro) and $25.95 for plastic connectors (rec). A friend of mine just picked up a set of the plastic connectors for his Blades this past weekend. The Pro springs looked like they were going to slice off the plastic pins on the fins, so he opted for the rec set.

J.

I find this one to be the best of all "EZ Spring Fin Strap"

NWGratefulDiver:
I believe Boogie711's spring straps would mount on that fin.

Likewise the E-Z Spring strap.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob is correct - the spring straps I make are designed for fins with the little post-hub (like Aqualungs, Mares or Cressi's). I wish I could come up with a simple, cheap and easily reproduce-ible design for Jet Fins, but so far, no luck.

I've seen the EZ straps - they look pretty cool too, but I don't like the plastic connections. The concern I have with the metal connections is the same one I have with manta straps - they can still come undone, and unfortunately, fin straps don't tend to come undone at convenient times. Once mine are on, they're not coming off unless you want them too.

But - they are a few dollars cheaper, so it might be an option for you.

Incidentally - a mod may want to move this out of the "DIR" thread, since there's nothing inherently DIR about spring straps.

Boogie711:
Incidentally - a mod may want to move this out of the "DIR"
thread, since there's nothing inherently DIR about spring straps.

i've sent a PM about his intent, but would rather wait for a reply for now

J75:
Aqua Hump,

Since you have quick release fins, try the EZ Springs. I found them on LeisurePro.com pretty cheaply. They're $31.95 for metal connectors (Pro) and $25.95 for plastic connectors (rec). A friend of mine just picked up a set of the plastic connectors for his Blades this past weekend. The Pro springs looked like they were going to slice off the plastic pins on the fins, so he opted for the rec set.

J.

I have a set of the EZ Springs (Pro) straps and while they are on the fins they work really well for getting the fins on and off in a hurry (while going through the surf). However, the Pro plates tend to slip off the hard plastic posts on my fins when they are not attached to my foot. So carrying them down to the beach or passing them back and forth across the boat you need to be careful with them. If I had to do it all again (and I probably will), I'd skip the Pro version and stick with something more reliable.

Meanwhile, I have been experimenting with zip ties around the fin post (to take up the slack) and may move to drilling some small holes and using safety wire to tie-off the large opening on the Pro's plate to keep them from sliding back off the post. The part I like with the EZ Springs are their use of the rubber cover over the springs with the pull tab. I suspect some only view that as another spot for something to get caught in, but I view it as a creature comfort when it comes to pulling them off quickly in the surf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom