Spring break vacation in Central or South America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrock1014

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for dive vacation suggestions for spring break at around $2000 pp, sons 14 and 18, Dad and Mom. We all dive but have not been in this area. I would love the experience to include cultural enrichment so big resorts are out.

HOWDY!

Hope this helps. My family including Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents, cousins, etc went scuba diving over the summer in Roatan, Honduras. We had and amazing 8 day trip for a round $1400 including airfare, diving, meals, transfers, etc. We stayed at the Fantasy Island Resort and loved it. I loved it so much that I am heading back for Spring Break. It is going to cost about $1500. The island is wonderful and the diving was great. The culture is amazing and the people make you feel right at home. Roatan is a great expereince and a great value. Good Luck with your search and enjoy your Spring Break!

Wow- can you adopt me? I like the Roatan idea as well, but certainly not the extremely culturaly isolated Fantasy Island resort.

The Bay Islands, including (among the larger) Roatan, Guanaja and Utila offer a glimpse into former British colonial life (they sure sound and look like Cayman Islanders!) now owned and operated by the Spanish mainland government of Honduras. Sprinkle in a dash of Garifuna Caribes (de-placed slaves that the French grew weary of) who bring interesting dances, dress and customs to the table.

Roatan is not the best venue for seeing this. Guanaja's only resort is isolated. I think I would suggest Utila.

You can have an "off the beaten path" local experience by avoiding isolation, but also by searching out the local's restaurants- enlist the aid of a friendly cab driver. It is unfortunate, but most local customs are so diluted by satellite dish and internet exposure, that the true "local's experience" is getting harder to find.

It was very modernized but I have had great moments in the outer islands of the Bahamas and in the Northern end of Tobago. It pays to pick up hitch-hikers, though!

Keep us informed and post a report when you return!

Roatan Man

Check out Laguna Beach Resort on Utila. Had a great time there this spring. Great diving, boats and people. LBR is all most all inclusive. Alcohol and sodas are extra. Meals were good, buffett style. Fresh fruit everymeal. I think the price is $895 a week plus airfare. We never left the resort other then on the dive boat so I don't know much about topside activities. A friend went and loved the island. I'll see a bit more of it on my next trip there.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom