Spring and river conditions post hurricane(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if anyone knows or can guess the condition of some of the springs and rivers that they feed (or could get backed up by) after the latest deluge. I think we might be trying to dive on saturday - cant be sure quite where yet, but would Peacock, Manatee, Ginnie and the like potentially be out due to the tannic river water backing up and pouring into some of the springs??? I havent checked CDF for "current conditions", but will after i post this - however the reports maybe slightly dated, so i was looking to those who have experienced these springs post hurricane (or large amounts of summer rain) and how that changes them or the probability that it is likely to change them.

I was under the impression that the springs conditions (like the rivers rising etc) had to do more with the weather north of the springs like in Georgia, rather than the weather here in Florida. Yes, the run off would go into the springs themselves, but I think that would only mess with the vis in the basin and not the caves unless it is a siphon and not a spring.

I dove manatee the day after Charley and it was great!

Good morning, Miss Wendy!!
I think you're correct. The rain may have an immediate effect on the surface conditions of the rivers and springs due to runoff from tributaries, but on the whole, the water that flows from the springs has been filtered and should be relatively clear.

This is from Connie and was posted on CDF.

Our ground crews are in today to clean up. The park is closed to all activities at this time...and, yes, that includes cave diving. The river is rising. We are not sure when we will be able to allow safe entry... suggest you call prior to driving out.

Ok, i understand flood hydrology - part of my job. I was more after which springs might be effected by the deluge that has hit FL (and currently GA) - although i understand it could take a few days for the water in GA to flow down the Suwannee to the springs - but nonetheless it is coming, so which springs are most likely to be effected by an uprising in the river due to this hurricane?? I thought i had heard that Peacock was quite prone, but didnt know about the likelihood of some of the others being backed up and viz being out due to that - i even recall threads about this very subject in the past 11 months i have been on here.

I do not need hydrology 101 though, nor explanations of the hydraulics of the head in the river vs head in aquifer and how that affects flow, just an idea of which springs are usually most effected by this kind of event and the subsequent flood of water coming down the Suwannee or Santa Fe rivers.

Wendy:
This is from Connie and was posted on CDF.

Our ground crews are in today to clean up. The park is closed to all activities at this time...and, yes, that includes cave diving. The river is rising. We are not sure when we will be able to allow safe entry... suggest you call prior to driving out.
Now that is what i am talking about, thanks.

simbrooks:
Ok, i understand flood hydrology - part of my job. I was more after which springs might be effected by the deluge that has hit FL (and currently GA) - although i understand it could take a few days for the water in GA to flow down the Suwannee to the springs - but nonetheless it is coming, so which springs are most likely to be effected by an uprising in the river due to this hurricane?? I thought i had heard that Peacock was quite prone, but didnt know about the likelihood of some of the others being backed up and viz being out due to that - i even recall threads about this very subject in the past 11 months i have been on here.

I do not need hydrology 101 though, nor explanations of the hydraulics of the head in the river vs head in aquifer and how that affects flow, just an idea of which springs are usually most effected by this kind of event and the subsequent flood of water coming down the Suwannee or Santa Fe rivers.

I didn't mean to upset you, geez. But some other people may read this thread and didn't know as much about the subject as you.

As far as rivers rising. The Suwannee swells a lot. Usually Ginnie stays clear, but I guess the Sante Fe is rising now too. Best bet is to just call places like Ginnie and/or dive outpost to check on conditions. Also Blue Springs in Orange City always stays nice.

CBulla:
You could dive with Fred, he's got a few feet of water in front of his house I think :D
In front of my house. They are 15 ft deep. Might need a toxic suit. Could be interesting. If you go through the pipe you can do some cave diving :)

I would think that if Ginnie is out, just about everywhere else is out. Ginnie is one of the higher flow caves around. Peacock is one of the most prone. I was going to say Ginnie should be a safe bet due to the high flow and minimal chance of siphoning. Oh well, what do I know?

The only other possibility would be one of the big springs with a long run like Rainbow or Silver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom