spouse/buddy rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What are the general rules of thumb when diving with your buddy? Are you supposed to be constantly parallel or a leader and then a follower within a few feet? I tend to be much more conscious about the position of my dive buddy when it's my husband. Of course I keep an eye on my friends also but I'm afraid I'm much more sensitive and a bit nervous for his safety with him as my buddy. One of us always seems to end up in front of the other and then worry when the other isn't two inches away. Am I just overly concerned?:huh:

Depends on your levels of comfort. My wife is a one time a year diver. My normal dive buddy and I dive about 75 times a year. I'm a lot more cautious with her than I am with my regular buddy.

Maybe you should just up your life insurance on him...:wink:

I prefer side by side.

Try flanking each other so you each have a comfortable line of sight without going through gyrations. Stay far enough appart to let the lead diver lead and the follower folow without bumping shoulders constatntly. When diving I like to have my space.

As for the spouse part, what goes on underwater stays underwater.

Pete

When my girlfriend and I started diving we were both nervous and looked around for each other constantly. I think that's normal. On some dives we saw more of each others OK sign than fish. As we have dove together more, we're more comfortable and don't have to be looking directly at each other all of the time. You kind of develop an awareness of where the other person is and what their air should be.

We have found it better to be far enough apart that it is easy to scan and find the other - about 10 or so - but close enough to react if help is needed. If you are too close to your buddy you can be in his/her blind spot and they will have to spin all the way around to find you.

You might both take some kind of underwater noisemaker with you - a tank banger or rattler or something. That way, you both know that each other can give a signal if you need help, and that will take some of the pressure off.

trigfunctions:
You might both take some kind of underwater noisemaker with you - a tank banger or rattler or something. That way, you both know that each other can give a signal if you need help, and that will take some of the pressure off.
If I want her attention I just reach out and touch her. :)

Maybe you should just up your life insurance on him...:wink:[/QUOTE]

That has been the running joke for a while. Funny thing is he doesn't like the idea of me having a dive knife. eyebrow

A common problem with couples underwater is the barracuda spell. Basically, the spouse( usually) follows instead of being side by side. This is usually because you want to keep an eye out or your buddy all the time. The side effect is bad since you tend to be behind him a bit and while you always see him, he can't see you, putting you in danger. Side by side, a few feet apart, that is the best way to do it.

I am forcing my spouse to respect this rule and so far, she better enjoy her dive when doing side by side. And like you said, what happens under water, stays underwater :wink:

Its all too common that spouses and significant others make terrible buddies. When diving, the only thing that matters is diving, with all the habits and conventions involving communication, safety, communication, navigation, communication, etc. that make for enjoyable and safe dives. When spouses or SOs dive, they frequently bring in the thousands of little (or large) attitudes and home habits that never appear when they are simply diving with friends. OTOH, when two people are really in sync with each other, they can be great UW buddies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom