spouse/buddy rules?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I totally understand the heightened anxiety when you're diving with your spouse. You want to be sure they are ok all the time. My husband and I are newbies at this and I'm sure the more we dive together the more intune we'll be with each other and not constantly 'babysitting' each other. I think the side by side position sounds the best as well and I REALLY like the idea of a noise maker that 'trigfunctions' suggested. The more unique noise the better. I also think it's a great idea to have some bright colored tape or something on your body somewhere that your spouse or sig other can recognize quickly and easily.

I'm looking forward to diving with my husband and sharing all the wonderful sites undersea.

- artistsandy :)

I dive slightly above and to the left of my wife when we dive together. I like to keep my eye on her at all times.

When diving with old buddies that I know and trust...same ocean, same day is our motto

Side by side is best when possible IMHO. Of course some dives that isn't always possible. My Wife, a wonderful diver, does like to be behind me and I just kindly ask her if we could stay side by side as it makes me feel more comfortable knowing that she is safe as well. After taking several classes together we have learned to not take comments personally. Also, performing rescue breathing on your spouse in a rescue class will give you a new perspective on diving.

However, long time couples can bicker at times, lol. I offer this advice. If your spouse gets annoyed when you ask him or her for a safety related underwater favor, don't get upset. Just kindly say, "It makes me feel more comfortable knowing that you are safe because I love you and I want you to feel the same way so we can both enjoy our dive together." That goes especially for you guys. Many of us have a tendency to order or get upset or frustrated with our partner because we care. This can lead to us guys getting tight lipped and closing down communication. Communicating with your diving spouse will improve your diving safety and your relationship. If that doesn't work, then go ahead and get that life insurance.:D

Does Dr. Phil dive?:doctor:

My wife and I have been diving together for two or three years, and married for almost fifteen. We may bicker and argue on occasion, but all the nonsense ends when we start hooking up our dive gear.

We usually hang out side by side a few feet apart as we go along. Close enough that we can get to each other with a quick kick, but far enough that we aren't bouncing into each other or into the rocks to avoid each other.

It's all a matter of comfort. I'm so comfortable diving with her that I've pretty much stopped diving with anyone else. And the times when I've bailed out of a dive, I have no worries about her going on with another partner without me. It leads to some interesting discussions after the dive...

With most buddies we're side by side, with my husband I prefer he be either at work or maybe resting on the bottom someplace a couple of hundred feet below me :wink:

ScubaKimmie:
With most buddies we're side by side, with my husband I prefer he be either at work or maybe resting on the bottom someplace a couple of hundred feet below me :wink:

Ouch.....

Dave (aka "Squirt")

ScubaKimmie:

Kimmie, you're going to scare away all the guys...

redhatmama:
Kimmie, you're going to scare away all the guys...

She doesn't scare me..... much. I'd dive with her, I just wouldn't marry her.

But you'll dive with anybody . . .

The nice thing about being underwater is that it's hard to have an argument there. The bad news is that said argument erupts the minute the heads do from the water.

The great thing about my regular dive buddies is that, unlike my husband, they seem to feel that they need to be polite to me :)

Back
Top Bottom