Marina Drama, Buddy's Boat Stuck in Drydock, and Marina Doing Nothing. /rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlugLife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
(This is mostly just a rant thread)

One of my dive-buddies owns 26ft boat, which is stored in a dry-stack (covered warehouse), where he can call to have his boat put in or taken out of the water. Recently, that marina has gotten in a legal dispute with a nearby property owner, and apparently can no longer use their dock. Briefly, water levels are quite low, leading to coves and waterways becoming smaller and smaller, and now this Marina's dock has effectively taken over the entrance to the cove. Reading between the lines, I suspect this is a court-order, and the marina is indeed over-reaching and using property they're not entitled to, and they're going to lose the case.

Without getting too distracted, this Marina is more than happy to nickel-and-dime people, with frequently increasing marina fees, parking fees for guests, charging walk-ins, and 3 weeks ago increased their ramp fees by 50%. Clearly they're in the money-making business.

When I asked my buddy what the marina is doing to get his boat in the water, he responded "they have an attorney." In other words, nothing. They're not moving the dock, or working on a plan-B. I told my buddy he needs to pressure the marina, but then my buddy makes excuses for the Marina, and jokes about cutting the other guy's dock loose, etc as if the other guy is the problem and not the marina itself. I told him to contact other drydock boat owners too to increase pressure, but my buddy seems to be taking the marina's side for some reason. Having been in similar situations, it's obvious to me that the Marina is giving my buddy the runaround, and will only move the dock when they start losing customers or are sued by their customers.

In short, my buddy's boat cannot be put in the water. Trailering to a boat ramp is also not an option due to timing issues. That means his boat is now DOA until further notice, and he's paying marina fees to be unable to use his boat. Most other marinas in the area charge nearly double, or have no availability. I suppose I'm mostly ranting here. I can't get my buddy to stand up for himself or do it for him. This is why I don't envy "boat owners" (or people owned by boats).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom