Sportsways Waterlung double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcarpini

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey does any body out there have a diagram for a sportsways double hose, I picked up a DHR that appears to be a sportsways. the label was replaced by a New England Divers decal. I have know idea what model it is. or even if its worth trying to restore

I have a Sportsways Hydro Twin, and it is still in working order. The parts it came with are very durable (except the hoses, which I have replaced). The Hydro Twin is a balanced first stage design, with a downstream second stage. I also picked up a few Sportsways single hose regulators for parts, if I need them (which I haven't). The HP valve is made of nylon, and the valve seat is stainless steel. The valve seat may need a new O-ring, but it should be easy to find.

There was one other Sportsways double hose regulator, the Duel Air. This was an unbalanced first stage, with a tilt valve upstream second stage. You can tell if you have the Duel Air because the LP port has an overpressure relief valve on it. I'm not sure how durable the tilt valve second stage is, so that may be a limitation if it is a Duel Air.

I have a spec sheet for the Duel Air, out of Fred Roberts' book Basic Scuba. I do not have a spec sheet on my Hydro Twin, but it is fairly easy to open up and clean. It works much like other diaphragm regulators. But be aware that there is one pin inside which is rather difficult to get, which I used air pressure to remove. That was a big mistake, as it was shot out of the chamber and hit the roof of my garage years ago. Luckily, my face was not in line, otherwise it may have gone in quite a ways and done real damage.

I would get it in shape and dive it, first in a pool to see what it's like. I'm very interested in the breathing characteristics of the Duel Air, which I have never used. The Hydro Twin in comparable to a Royal Aquamaster, and may have a better venturi. But the hose/mouthpiece system is not so good. With a USD hose/mouthpiece you should have a very nice regulator, no matter which one it is, if you can get it functioning again.

SeaRat

Like Dr. Miller said, that New England Divers label makes it quite rare. Better to preserve it as a rare collectible if you care at all about the value of the regulator or diving history.

I can understand the concern with maintaining the value of a rare regulator. Dr. Miller's and Duckbill's information shows that diving this regulator may detract from its collectable value, which I would take into consideration.

Saying that, my Hydro Twin has been in the water many times, and is a very nice regulator. A New England Diver's decal on it would not have affected whether I would dive the regulator, as I don't collect them to just look at them or as an investment. I collect them to understand their engineering concepts, and to use them. My Hydro Twin is a regulator I bought from a guy in Winston, Oregon in the 1980s from his garage for $25. I was able to completely disassemble it, and had to improvise a different gasket between the first and second stage as the original one disintegrated. All the other parts, even the second stage seat, are still original and work. I did lubricate the O-ring for the seat. I did change the hose/mouthpiece system, and have the original mouthpiece. But I now am using a Hope-Page mouthpiece with Superflex hoses on it. I did take some measurements of the original mouthpiece non-return wagon wheels, and since they have only four "spokes" the surface area was between a Healthways mouthpiece and a USD/Voit.

But realize that my reason for collecting may be different from others, and act according to your own interests.

Now, concerning your question about the diaphragm, unless it has a hole in it, the original diaphragm is probably still good. It is rubberized nylon, and will last almost forever. You can take it out, put a coating of silicone grease on it for a few days, and it should be good as new. Be sure to wipe it down very well, so that it is not slippery when you put it back on the regulator though.

Below is a photo from a few years ago of me using my Sportsways Hydro Twin with a Dacor Nautilus system.
John_with_Nautilus__Vintage-reg.png

SeaRat

Last edited:
I'm one who would do both.
I dive my regulators, but were I to run across a very rare variation I'd preserve it out of respect for the history and find another of the same model in the run-of-the-mill configuration to dive. My conscience would not allow me to do otherwise, but to each his own.

Thanks for the info, well.. I tried doing the same thing... I pressurized the reg to pop out the HP seat and BOING parts went everywhere I was not as lucky as you.. I assembled the reg and I could not get it to work. It did not make any sense because this reg is in pristine condition. after analyzing the way this reg is supposed to work I came to the conclusion that there must be a Pin between the diaphragm and the HP seat. I looked everywhere but I could not find a "pin" anywhere on my living room floor. Then your response just confirmed my theory of a missing Pin. Do you have a photo of the internal parts? do you know what single hose regs have the same pin ? How on Earth will I ever replace it? Any ideas? Also I liked your Idea about separating the first and second from the new mistral and chest mounting the second. Ill give that a try, like you I really enjoy the engineering and I tweek alot of my equipment to amuse myself and experiment. O my God!! as I was writing you this I looked down and behold I have found the pin 5/16" long and slightly less than 1/16 Dia.. lucky me

That's one of the best regulator repair stories I've heard in a long time. Thanks, and I'm glad you found the pin. Both the Master Diver and Navy Unit Sportsways single hose regulators have many of the same parts as the Hydro Twin/Duel Air double hose regulators. This regulator would have the same seat and other parts as the Duel Air. Here is another one. These will also have some common parts with the Hydro Twin, but others may not match as these single hose regs currently on E-bay are not balanced.

I am interested in how your experiments with the New Mistral come out--chest mounting the second stage.

SeaRat

In the process of producing a time line of "Sportsways/Waterlung regs. does anybody have know when was the last year the "HYDROTWIN reg appeared in their catalogue fingers cross to the answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom