Sportsways Waterlung 500C, transparent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommymac

Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up a Sportsways 500C, I have never seen or heard of these and hope that someone can shed a little light on this model. Seller claims a dive shop put epoxy on it at the first sign of any fracturing. I don't see any cracks through the clear epoxy,where the hose attaches. I have another plastic Sportsways second stage that breaths quite well and this one seems to be just as easy breathing, but have not dove with it. You can see the lever function through the back of the case but the diaphram is black.

sportsways 001.jpgsportsways 004.jpgsportsways 005.jpg

Tommymac

I have reviewed my catalogs and other documentation and can not find anything with a clear second stage made by Sportsways. I don't recall ever seeing any regulator made by any company with a clear second stage.

I suspect but certainly not certain that you have a salesman's sample. It could be one of a kind rare regulator which could demand a premium to the right Sportsways collector.

A very brief summary of the history of the 500 series of Sportsways regulator is as follows;

The 500 series of Sportsways regulators was introduced in 1969.

1969 the ATM 500A model 1390 price $65.00

1971 the ATM 500A model 1390 price $73.00

1972 the ATM 500A model 1390 price $73.00

1973 ATM 500 model 1390 price $65.00

1974 ATM 500 model 1390 price $84.00

1975 ATM 500 model 1390 price $120.00

1976 ATM 500 model 1390 price $100.00

1977 ATM 500 model 1390 price $103.00

1978 ATM 500 model 1390 price $115.00

I do not have catalogs past 1978. My memory is that they ceased production after the passing of the primary financial support.

SDM

I don't recall ever seeing any regulator made by any company with a clear second stage.

SDM

Scubapro did make a clear second stage, but that was either in the 80's or maybe even the 90's.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 09:07 AM ----------

Ok, I just tried to confirm what I just posted, but didn't find what I was looking for... I hope I am not imagine things...
I will look into it more later.

Tommymac,

You might want to go to the source and contact the founder of Sportsways, Sam Le Cocq. He is unaffectionately know by many in the diving world as "Sam the crook," which sums up his morals.

He lives in Baja California Mexico which protects him from prosecution on numerous charges in the American justice system

His e mail is:

Sam Lecocq" <normandylecocq@yahoo.com>,

He also has a US mail box as many do who reside in Baja. It is;

PO Box 301764
Escondido, CA

I suspect you will not receive a response from either address but worth a try
SDM

Luis,
SCUBA Pro made a gold plated regulator, as I recall a MK VII in the 1980s which was available to dealers and selected personages in the diving world. Could this be your recollection?

SDM

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your efforts. I will send him an email and will post his response if there is one. I doubt this speciment ever saw salt water and the first stage is mint. I will also check my Sportsways catalogs and see if I have one you are missing, but I know I never heard of or seen a second stage like this.

I have another second stage that is in a clear case, Oceanic Omega. I believe they also had a translucent red and blue case and possibly a solid red at one time.

Tom

Tom,
You are a wealth of strange exotic second stages.

Can you post a picture of the Oceanic for every one to view.

This just might be the regulator that Luis was recalling.

SDM

Luis,
SCUBA Pro made a gold plated regulator, as I recall a MK VII in the 1980s which was available to dealers and selected personages in the diving world. Could this be your recollection?

SDM

Hi Sam,

I actually found a clear G250 on eBay (asking $500). I don’t think I am going to bid on it, but I am glad that I am not loosing my memory… at least not totally.
Mint Condition Scubapro G250 Crystal | eBay

Some pictures:

Clear G250
scp_g250_clear.jpg

$T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-SRBR(3I,SbZ!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16dHJFwFFZ742RIvBR(3IZgErg~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16ZHJHoE9n3Kft7TBR(3IRGLF!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJH8E9qSEVnvVBR(3I(svzw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16RHJGkE9no8hmy+BR(3IWV!Kw~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16hHJG8E9nyfp-SRBR(3ITHEn!~~60_57.JPG

Here are some prototypes that I don’t think were ever for sale.
Clear G500
scp_g500_trblue.jpg

Clear S600
scp-clear_s600.jpg

I have another second stage that is in a clear case, Oceanic Omega. I believe they also had a translucent red and blue case and possibly a solid red at one time.

Tom

Yes, I forgot about the Oceanic Omega. I have seen a couple clear/ translucent red ones.

---------- Post added August 4th, 2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

Something I just notice is that the G250 in the first two pictures contain different adjustment screws. I think the adjustment screws are from different years.

Last edited:
Just in case someone has not seen a clear Omega, here's mine plus two other colors. Omega 003.jpg

I would not be surprised if the Oceanic Omega is one of the longest production run second stages around.

Tom

Nothing in the 1979 or 1980 catalog. In the 1980 catalog they offered 1st and 2nd stage cut-a-ways for training.

The clerar Scuabpro resg were sold in Germany for awhile says my buddy Frank. They are much harder to find in the United States. If you want one without getting ripped off look on German ebay.

Back
Top Bottom