Sport Fisherman kills pregnant 1,060 pound hammerhead in Florida to set record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Bucky still doesn't understand what all the fuss is about." :-(

No, I don't guess he does, and this is the only part of the article I can agree with 100%

You can't cure stupid - but it looks like the prevailing wisdom is this activity is not endorsed by the majority of the public, both diving and non diving, and thats a good thing. Are we starting to "get it"?

On the subject of famous shark killers:

Many looked up to Frank Mundus, the charter captain out of Montaulk Point, Long Island, NY who was the inspiration for Quint, the captain in "Jaws" - he popularized "Monster Fishing" capturing and killing inumerable sharks.

Hearing him in many interviews, and seeing him on TV, I always thought he came across as a real jerk - looks like the activity he promoted for so many years is now, perhaps slowly, being deemed wrong headed - maybe there is hope for us yet......

I caught him in a recent documentary filmed in South Africa and he is now quite contrite about the impact he has had on the shark population. Although every animal matters it's the Japanese that really deserve our attention as they kill them by the millions each year...

I think I saw that documentary; Frank was all amazed how the great whites jumped out of the water...... Still think he was a jagg off of the highest order. I saw his "croc tears" too.

He has sinced passed away, but the problem with "reformed sinners" is the "sin" gets a lot more publicity than the act of contrition.
You are well informed, but I'll bet 99% of the folks out there know him for killing sharks vs the few remarks he passed regretting it.

Sorry, I never liked the guy - thought he was an arrogant jerk.

The only thing that is going to change attitudes in Asia is socialital - the idea that shark finn soup besides being gross is not necessary to serve at weddings in China, and maybe in Japan, listening to school children who find whale meat (much of the whale meat ends up as school lunchs) awful.

Here's another one Miami Charter Fishing-Miami Beach Fishing Charter Boat-Deep Sea Fishing that specializes in shark trips

The scientist that rejected the shark in the story may have had no use for a shark carcass

What on earth? So a fishing charter in Florida can take people out and kill any shark they can find?

What a travesty! Besides encouraging children to pillage the sea, they run bachelor and bachelorette parties on a shark killing expedition ("so what did you do on your last day of freedom, get drunk on a boat and kill jaws?") :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom