Spool reel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

highlandfarmwv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking at spool reels in the catalogs, it looks like your line could come off the sides on simple ones (finger spools). What about using a flu-fishing spool with nylon line (not fishing line)? then it wouldn't come off the sides and you could "reel it in". Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

Wouldn't the post dive cleanup and maintenance of that be a PITA? Are the controls scaled big enough to be dive glove friendly?

Yes, I did mean fly-fishing reel!! What I meant was: It looks like there is nothing to keep line from falling out the sides of the "finger-spool" reels, where, with the flyfishing reel, there are blocks to keep the line from slipping out the sides, aren"t there?

I see nothing to hold to to roll up the line. Please explain how it works, maybe I just don't have the right picture. Thanks!

PS I am thinking of using the line to find my way back to the anchor line, not to shoot a bag. Also, I don't mean the pole and all, just the reel with the little handle attached for easier "reeling".

highlandfarmwv:
PS I am thinking of using the line to find my way back to the anchor line, not to shoot a bag. Also, I don't mean the pole and all, just the reel with the little handle attached for easier "reeling".

I had something that was once a fly fishing reel modified to work underwater. It eventually bent at the tiny handle and the metal spool housing bent which jammed the line. In the end it sits and collects dust in my museum of "bad designs" . I really do think reels/spools have evolved with respect to the environment.

I do find big Delrin spools with big finger holes pretty easy to easy once you practice + the line entanglements are visible to the eye vs. hidden inside the housing.

X

highlandfarmwv:
Please explain how it works, maybe I just don't have the right picture. Thanks!

First consider what needs to happen when you shoot the the bag or buoy. The line must deploy without fail or you are either going for an unplanned ride or you will need to release the reel a perhaps loose the whole rig, the obvious choice. That being said it needs to be a simple foolproof affair.

As far as reeling it up I usually hold the spool on one finger while the other hand lays the line evenly between the flanges. Sometimes I rotate it in two hands. At any time you can hold your position just by holding the spool.

This should help:
http://www.divetekadventures.com/Videos/VideoShotBag.htm

Pete

highlandfarmwv:
Looking at spool reels in the catalogs, it looks like your line could come off the sides on simple ones (finger spools). What about using a flu-fishing spool with nylon line (not fishing line)? then it wouldn't come off the sides and you could "reel it in". Has anyone ever done this? Thanks.

I have never found this to be a problem..without gloves, wet gloves or even drygloves on...

Thanks, people. Guess I'll just get the regular one. It is cheaper than using a fly reel, I just thought it might unroll itself off the sides.

Back
Top Bottom