Spool is stuck in the SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECpirates96

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, was not my equipment but now it is. Bought some used gear that was poorly maintained to say the least. I pull the hose off the SPG and the spool is stuck tight. I have not taken pliers to it yet and was wondering if anyone had suggestions? Chemical?

you can set it vertical in some vinegar which should break any salt deposits down, don't let it get in the SPG but just setting it should work, let it soak for a minute or two then pull with pliers. It's just a stuck O-ring. Or take it to a local shop and they'll likely get it out for free

Pliers are bad news. They will almost surely retire the spool and could retire the gauge if it breaks off inside. I do have one SPG where there is zero clearance between the spool and the opening. I have concluded they are one piece and only change the accessible o-ring. But others are clearly supposed to disassemble. A trip of just the connection through the ultra sound cleaner has worked well. And alternative soak in vinegar/water, along with hot/cold treatments, to break things up will do the trick if you have patience.

Thanks guys I will try the soak and see. its crusted from the salt so the vinegar soak should break it. I was worried about it getting in the spool but sitting it upright should work.

In my experience, some are just dead because the corrosion has literally chemically welded the metal together.

(But in the tropics, stuff like that happens often, and not just in salt water exposed stuff.).

First tool I would grab would be pliers. The spool and o-rings need to be replaced. It is not worth trying to save the spool, as they are cheap (I have two in my save a boat dive kit). A twisting motion should free it up. If it is so corroded in there, that the spool breaks, then everything needs to be thrown away anyhow, as the sealing surfaces are compromised.

Pliers cause too much damage with so little surface area. Try using soft jawed vise and pull straight - you can get more surface area contact with the sides of the spool. I have had pretty good success.

Another option is putting the metal connector of the PG in the vise and tapping the end of the spool (normally after vinegar soak/UC) has helped with stuck components.

Keith

I use a pair of needle-nosed pliers to get them out when they're stuck. I used to try to preserve the spool, but getting the o-rings off is a PITA, and when I found out how cheap the whole assembly is to buy, I gave up on that. So I don't worry about damaging the spool in the process of removing it any more.

Soak it first in vinegar. Rinse then soak again. Then try to pull it out. Simply taking pliers to a badly corroded gauge is a good way to make sure you screw up the gauge as well. Twisting and even pulling on it can mar the surface. It is not just salt. There are other minerals in salt water that when the whole mess dries can act like a file on the gauge part itself. It is one thing to let something set for a few days or even a week with the crust on it. Months and years is a whole nother ballgame. It can even be welded in enough that pliers will snap the spool off in the fitting. Don't do it. But if you do I have some brand new ones I can give you a good deal on. I love it when nimrods "work on watches with sledgehammers" as the saying goes. IN this case corroded gauges with pliers:shakehead:.

And there are some guages that the spool is not a spool but part of the gauge. Trying to remove it is sure to damage the gauge beyond repair.....not that I have any personal experience. :) If it comes out with your fingers after a soak, fine, otherwise I leave it alone and be happy with the one o-ring I can replace.....it's not like the other one is just going to suddenly come loose later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom