Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are my personal experiences using both Scuba Pro Twin Jet fins and Scuba Pro Jet fins:

Twin Jets:
  • Noticeably easier to kick with, but you do not get the same distance per kick as you do with Jets
  • In a single tank rig you CAN back kick, but not nearly as efficient as Jets
  • Doubles rig with a stage/deco bottle? Forget twin jets. Not nearly as efficient as Jets. It's like trying to fin while pulling a parachute.
  • swimming against the current in Cozumel? It's can be done, but you're not going to get the length per kick that you get with Jets.

Jets:
  • Take more effort to kick than Twin Jets. In fact the first time I wore them I could have sworn that somebody duct taped 2x4's to my feet, but the distance covered in a single kick is drastically further than twin jets.
  • Doubles with a stage/deco bottle are much easier to push through the water with Jets.
  • Frog, Back, and modified flutter are much more efficient with Jets.

If you're getting cramps then you need better hydration and more potassium (eat a banana before your dive).

What is really amazing is the insistence that paddle fins are superior to all split fins based solely on the opinions of people on the internet. Both Undercurrent and Diver (the British Magazine) have reported on various fins and do not support the blanket condemnation of all split fins that comes from the internet crowd. If we dismiss all reported tests as being biased or poorly conducted, then we are just left with the anecdotal experiences of different divers which isn't any authority at all. I have both paddle fins and split fins, use them both and find them both to be good fins.

What is really amazing is the insistence that paddle fins are superior to all split fins based solely on the opinions of people on the internet. Both Undercurrent and Diver (the British Magazine) have reported on various fins and do not support the blanket condemnation of all split fins that comes from the internet crowd. If we dismiss all reported tests as being biased or poorly conducted, then we are just left with the anecdotal experiences of different divers which isn't any authority at all. I have both paddle fins and split fins, use them both and find them both to be good fins.

Virtually all dive magazines will test equipment, to help sell gear for their advertisers ( whose equipment they would test). For this reason, few of us consider dive magazine gear tests to be more than advertisements.

Beyond this, many of us , myself included, have had to pull split fin wearing divers through the water, because they were unable to fight a current--get to a boat, or some necessary action that the split fin wearers could not accomplish. So either the split fins are lame, or alternatively, the split fin wearer population has more non-fit divers in it than the "paddle fin" wearing population, or both of these options :)

And if you want the best fin, you want freedive fins....best type I have tried are made by specialfins.com

Regards,
Dan V

p.s.
Freedive fins are not for Cave...too easy to silt in the overhead environment.

So are Special Fins DIR in the ocean?

I ended up with a pair of twin jets, lost by someone, free to me. I tried 'em a few times, didn't like 'em, sold 'em for $90.

I'll take any Mares dive paddle, but no splits from anybody. My freedive fins are Gara 2000's; if I had extra money I'd get new freedive fins. For a good ab workout I have an old HyperFIN (mono-fin); dolphins think it's cute :)

So are Special Fins DIR in the ocean?
Well, let me put it this way......I dove for years with George Irvine and Bill Mee in ocean....on all ocean dives, I would use freedive fins, and while we would often discuss what could be optimal in our ocean set ups, there was NEVER any suggestion that my freedive fins were not DIR or optimal.....for George or Bill, they did lots of cave diving also, and they preferred to use just their jet fins...also, often George and Bill would use Gavin scooters--and I would keep up with freedivng fins for these dives---I would like to see someone with split fins try that :)

So, for ocean, there is no DIR issue with freedive fins---but you would not see them as recommended gear....Negative issues for freedive fins for a DIR tech diver----you must dive in head first, never giant stride ( this is how I go in anyway)...., if you penetrate a wreck, and swim through tight passageways, the added length of freedive fins requires more concentration, to not causing silting--if I was planning on a deep penetration, far into a shipwreck, I would use Jets---in the diving I do, shipwrecks are for spearfishing, not deep penetrations( which I could care less about). when I have followed Goerge and Bill deep into a wreck, I was careful, and did not silt anything---but would be quick to tell anyone that these fins were not ideal for this purpose.

Regards,
Dan

Well, let me put it this way......I dove for years with George Irvine and Bill Mee in ocean....on all ocean dives, I would use freedive fins, and while we would often discuss what could be optimal in our ocean set ups, there was NEVER any suggestion that my freedive fins were not DIR or optimal.....for George or Bill, they did lots of cave diving also, and they preferred to use just their jet fins...also, often George and Bill would use Gavin scooters--and I would keep up with freedivng fins for these dives---I would like to see someone with split fins try that :)

So, for ocean, there is no DIR issue with freedive fins---but you would not see them as recommended gear....Negative issues for freedive fins for a DIR tech diver----you must dive in head first, never giant stride ( this is how I go in anyway)...., if you penetrate a wreck, and swim through tight passageways, the added length of freedive fins requires more concentration, to not causing silting--if I was planning on a deep penetration, far into a shipwreck, I would use Jets---in the diving I do, shipwrecks are for spearfishing, not deep penetrations( which I could care less about). when I have followed Goerge and Bill deep into a wreck, I was careful, and did not silt anything---but would be quick to tell anyone that these fins were not ideal for this purpose.

Regards,
Dan

No disrespect to anyone. But the OP asked for advantages of Splits.

And we're back to why freedive or paddles are better for DIR.

Amazing how the topic shifts. And we haven't discussed FF yet. Later I suppose.

No disrespect to anyone. But the OP asked for advantages of Splits.

And we're back to why freedive or paddles are better for DIR.

Amazing how the topic shifts. And we haven't discussed FF yet. Later I suppose.

OK, let me then add:
  • If you have weak leg muscles, or weak hip muscles, the splt fin will decrease the effort required to kick it, when compared to typical paddle fins--if you needed to travel at 1 mph, and went from "traditional" paddle fins to splits, then the trade off for less muscular effort, would be more cardio assist, and higher breathing rate. However, as freediving fins come in soft, medium and hard rated blades, the soft variety of freedive fins would offer much less muscle effort to the knee area, but potentially somewhat more effort to the hip muscles---and overall effort would be less with freedive fins, due to higher efficiency than splits or paddles.
  • Splits can be seen as representing a "smaller gear"....if paddle fins were like a 42 x 18 gear (somewhat hard to allow high speed without really fast pedaling rpm/cadence) then the splits could be likened to a 42 x 25 gear...a gear used for climbing steep hills without trashing the leg muscles---letting less work be done per revolution -- this lets a cyclist climb a steep hill he could not climb in his larger 42 x 18 gear....the splits can push a non-hydrodynamic diver with tons of mass( stages, doubles, hoses and bc dragging everywhere like crazy) with less effort per kick cycle, but requiring many kick cycles to be equivalent to one kick cycle with the Jet fin. If there are no currents to beat, and no paddle fin wearing divers, or no hydrodynamically slick divers to keep up with ( buddies) , then you might say the splits would be great, assuming the diver is in no rush to travel a few hundred yards. If there is a need to travel at the speed of a jet fin wearing diver ( due to current, for instance), then the split fin diver will first begin running up a large cardio load, then higher breathing rate, and on needing more speed, the split wearer will not have sufficient kick turnover speed to acheive this--or will first run out of aerobic capacity for the effort.

OK, let me then add:
  • Splits can be seen as representing a "smaller gear"....if paddle fins were like a 42 x 18 gear (somewhat hard to allow high speed without really fast pedaling rpm/cadence) then the splits could be likened to a 42 x 25 gear...a gear used for climbing steep hills without trashing the leg muscles---letting less work be done per revolution -- this lets a cyclist climb a steep hill he could not climb in his larger 42 x 18 gear....the splits can push a non-hydrodynamic diver with tons of mass( stages, doubles, hoses and bc dragging everywhere like crazy) with less effort per kick cycle, but requiring many kick cycles to be equivalent to one kick cycle with the Jet fin. If there are no currents to beat, and no paddle fin wearing divers, or no hydrodynamically slick divers to keep up with ( buddies) , then you might say the splits would be great, assuming the diver is in no rush to travel a few hundred yards. If there is a need to travel at the speed of a jet fin wearing diver ( due to current, for instance), then the split fin diver will first begin running up a large cardio load, then higher breathing rate, and on needing more speed, the split wearer will not have sufficient kick turnover speed to acheive this--or will first run out of aerobic capacity for the effort.

I might disagree with this. There are LOTS of studies, some even by independent folks who don't have an interest in the outcome, showing that many splits are faster than most paddles. You can search the forums if you like. Splits do tend to like a modified flutter, with smaller kicking strokes. This smaller stroke, which is easily accomplished by bending more at the knees and less at the hips, along with split fins' lower resistance, allows a high kick frequency, but with much less total energy output per kick cycle. So, it is not likely that the user will run out of aerobic capacity just because he/she is kicking more rapidly. Different efforts, different muscles, etc.

As for current, it's a non-issue. If the diver can go faster in static water, he/she can go faster in current. The fins don't see, care or notice the fact that the water is moving relative to the bottom, only that the diver is moving relative to the water. I used to worry about this current thing as well, but 2 years ago, someone on this board set me straight. I modified my kicking technique, and problem solved.

Now, if a kick technique is used that is less suited for either type of fin, then the performance of the fin will be reduced. So, it is important that each diver learn what type of kick is most appropriate to the individual fins being used.

As for another poster saying he rescues lot of people in splits, that's just silly. The fins don't cause divers to need rescuing. What, people with paddles don't need rescuing ever?

Some anecdotal evidence. My brother is 7 years younger and in a whole lot better shape than I am. He's about 50 pounds lighter and runs 10k's (or longer) somewhat regularly. I do bicycle a bit for fitness, but I can't hold a candle to him. He, however, uses paddles. Sorry, I forgot which ones. I can swim away from him with my bio-fins if I want, regardless of current. We use the same tanks and same bc's, so there isn't much difference in streamlining. In fact, with my extra bulk, I am probably creating more drag.

I do agree that splits are not as effecient or easy to use with kicks other than flutter variations, although they can be used with other kicks.

Please, I am not trying to start or continue an argument, but there is real evidence and a lot of experience that shows that splits are just fine in currents and don't make people run out of breath.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom