Split fins ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomic Split fins feel quite close to conventional fins.
I had been using US Divers Rocket fins for several years
before I switched to these three years ago.

Their feel wasn't that different from my previous
fins in terms of control, instantaneous power, etc.
What I did notice was that I could fin much faster for longer
periods of time.

I suspect that swimming backwards may be more efficient
with Jet fins, but helicopter turns, sculling, and fine attitude
adjustments work perfectly well with the Atomics.

Looks like the softer split fins are quite different.
If anyone tried the soft split fins and didn't like them,
I urge you to try the Atomic (or other stiff variety) split fins.
You may be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, from my experience, split fins actually stir up less silt.
Kicking with paddle fins produces a jet of downward water
movement that explodes in a cloud of silt a split second after
the end of the downstroke. Split fins however, only create
a very small downward jet, and thus produce much less silt.

Of course, this assumes the diver has good trim,
either horizontal or slightly head down. If the legs are pointing
downwards, you can't avoid silt if you want to kick forward.

I now have an opinion about split fins from personal use. I recently tried a new set of Aqua Lung fins (I was a long time user of Aqua Lung Blades).

The fins pushed me faster with less stress. I was able to swim backwards and frog kick. My buddy was constantly falling behind!

I also did a 100 yard surface swim (on my back) and despite the cold water I was no more or less fatigued.

I could fin vertically as well.

The biggest difference is that the feedback mechanism I was used to with the longer and stiffer Blades was missing. This gives the feeling that the fins are not working.

I am convinced that they have a place in diving and I will continue to use them.

I dive with Atomic Splits myself. I started out with them so I got used to them quickly. I am very smooth in the water but have been told that the water jetting through the fins does move the silt on the bottom of the quary.

From your discripton of all the divers you say causing you this problem, it sounds like most of them should not even be diving.

I only use these though because they feel the best compared to others I have used. I am obviously able to do good with them though because they fit my style and body movement in the water. I stay streamlined and I really do not have alot of experience.

Sounds to me though like most of those divers you say do not know what Bouancy control is. Thats problably were the major problem is.

You have a ligitimate grip.

Thanks.

I happen to use Twin Jets myself. I dive in local lakes and that type of silty environment. I also do a great deal of underwater photography which as we all know requires very good buoyancy control.

I will say that myself and the other twin-jet users around me are not stirring up silt since about ten dives after open water:) . I love the reduced gas consumption that I see with these fins. I don't intend to part with them.

That having been said. I agree with the comments about the relative inefficiency of frog kicks or kicks other than the traditional diver's flutter kick that these were apparently engineered for. As I am not intending to go into caves or inside shipwrecks, this is a bother but not a major problem. If I do that kind of diving, I may try out the Atomic Split Fins at that time.

I do know that used my Twin Jets in the Caribbean and got some beautiful pictures by laying in wait for my fishy targets. I was getting a good deal longer underwater due to the reduced gas consumption except the one day when I cheaped out and had to use air both dives (I was on the boat with no bottom time left and a little better than 1000 psi that day. ;-0 )

So, most of what I have seen here matches my experiences with these fins. Your silt issues were most likely buoyancy control on the part of the students. (I refuse to go back to the shallow end of that quarry on a weekend until the instructors quit running classes en masse for the year.)

Just my opinions.

Back
Top Bottom