Split fins vs full fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJ O'Dwyer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the advantage of one over the other. I presently have split jet fins. My only
complaint is that they are heavy

This is a very frequently discussed and hotly debated topic.

My personal take on it, as someone who has used both Twin Jets and Jet fins, is that the Twin Jets minimized resistance to the kick, so you didn't have a sensation of much effort. They're very good for moving forward quickly, and for using the standard flutter kick.

The stiffer, blade fins like Jets are good for precision maneuvering, and for powering heavy equipment like doubles through the water. They're best with other kicks, like frog kicking. It is much easier to back kick with blade fins.

I have both kinds of fins i personally prefer the splits (expert Zoom) it has alot to do with your personal dive style and of course your fatigue level diving isn`t meant to be a hard physical thing

When I first started buying equipment after my OW, I purchased SP Razorjet fins (paddle). UGH, too long, slippery on deck and very floaty. My fault - I didn't do my research!

Broke down the following year and bought Apollo Bio Fins after reading many reviews etc. They are very easy to kick and did pretty well in the currents that I happen to run into. A little hard to maneuver on the boat (kept folding under themselves as I shuffled to exit, but that was just ME) and I had a hard time back-kicking or frog kicking.

I have also tried the Atomic splits and they were a good mix of stiffness and split. Didn't care for the Scubapro TwinJet Max - returned them.

Too many years of running, racquetball and aerobics -- I need to save my knees -- so any fin that will treat my knees kindly will make me a happy girl.

Bottom line -- try before you buy if you can. I really like my Apollo's, but I'm still searching for the "just right" fins. I'm still waiting for someone to compare the Oceanic V16's to the Apollo splits, as well as a review of the new Mares splits. The only downside is the splits are too spendy.:fish: but I've heard I should try the JETS.. LOL

Advantage/dis
well I can't say that one is better than the other as they both work, they are just optimized for different purposes/uses, I will use a categories that someone once told me. Cat 1-paddle fins, Cat 2- Splits, Cat 3 ForceFin. I will try to keep this as unbiased and objective as I can.

Cat 1 Jets- Short-Stiff Blade, Heavy paddle fins, very negatively bouyant (good for floaty feet), can scull and frog kick with the best of them. Best when used with the frog kick when slow speed, silting, or fine control are important. Overall very good fins for technical, wreck, and drysuit diving.

Cat 2 Splits- Longer Flexible blades, very easy kicking, lots of propulsion, very comfortable, however work best with a tight fast flutter kick, and do not scull or backup very well. Overall very good fins for recreational diving.

Cat 3 ForceFin- Short and Flexible blades, easy kicking similar to Bios, while having the sculling ability as good or better Jets. Most powerful kick is the flutter, but can also perform frog kicks and sculling very well. Bonus- they look cool

If you don't like the fins that you have, try some new ones, give each them a chance for 3-5 dives a piece so that you can make an informed decision. As only you can decide what fins work best for you and your diving style. Hopefully, you have some friends near you that will be willing to share their toys so that you can try a couple fins out. Call your local shops, often you can find a decent variety for rent, or some shops' DM/instructors are willing to let you "borrow" their fins as well.

For opinions- well I have used all 3 of these fins extensively, at least 50 dives with Atomics, 20 or more with Bios, 100+ Jets, and 400+ with ForceFin. I am now a loyal fan of ForceFin, only leaving them to test a new design and see if they are any good

Split fins are no longer modern. If you have these, now, it looks like you bought them a long time ago, before the variable-cam modern fixed fins became available.

Split fins always looked stupid. Now, the look both stupid and obsolete.

Check out the ultra-modern fins that allow you to vary the tension in them by adjusting them.

Before you buy ...

wow, I hope you not talking about those Aqualung things, that is a design that's older than Splits which were originally designed in 50's just never gained popularity until the mid 90's. As was that whale tail design that Mor-Fin is using, it was tried and failed, now it is just another marketing gimick that companies are making money off again.

:deadhorse:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom