**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP, that gets my vote for the "best post EVER on Scubaboard" award!
Hysterically funny true…close but no cigar; he left out Cruise Ship Diving :shakehead:.

I tried a set of split fins this past weekend in San Carlos. I was a lot less than impressed.
I found I was kicking so much and getting so little propulsion from them that I was breathing heavy after just a few minutes and exhausted in no time.
Give me a set of ridgid paddles any day!

I use both paddle and split fins. I have not had any extremes such as propulsion or fatigue problems with either. I am using Mares Plana Avanti and Mares Raptors. I swim in a pool 1.5-2 miles a few days a week so any good quality fin will work for me, just for my SCUBA diving style (hunting in kelp and around rocks) the splits work better. I only SCUBA dive in the Pacific Ocean.

Based on the only objective studies ever done on name brand fins, no major brand pair of fins is proportionally better than your own enough to justify buying another pair.

If you really have 90-140 dollars burning a hole in your pocket, go buy a share of stock instead of blowing it over perceived performance gains in fins. Who here is doing constant kicking as hard they can for X many minutes enough to see the margin of error performance gains in using another fin brand? I've operated underwater during those peak conditions once during a current shift in cozumel. Afterwards when I was having a beer and tacos, the idea that somehow I could have done that 3 percent better for 90 dollars more didn't enter my mind.

Disclaimer: I own Atomic Split Fins because I want to get entangled by the split in the fin and then die because I don't take a dive knife to places like Little Cayman.

Disclaimer: I really do have Atomic splits, they work fine. I am spending the money I was thinking of spending on those spring loaded aqua lung fins on a sex worker then next time I go diving.

I still have and use my 30 year old USD Rocket fins. I have had my size Med Plana Avanti Fins over 15 years. I needed a larger foot pocket for my new thick soled booties I use for hiking down cliffs. The size Large Mares Raptors is my third pair of open heeled fins that I purchased in the past 35 years. On sale the price difference was about $30 vs a large Plana Avanti. Money has nothing to do with my purchase nor does "perceived" performance gains. My gear is streamline and set up for performance and speed. I do go fast when chasing down a fish or having to tow a buddy in a current or when I want to go fast for the pure pleasure of it. I like to suck up my air when hunting and my gear configuration allows me to do just that. I suck up a lot less air with the splits versus my paddles. There is a considerable performance difference between the Plana Avanti and the Raptor.

I like carne asada, carnitas, pescado, al pastor, or chicharon tacos; and Corona and Dos XX beer. But not after SCUBA diving.

We sell several thousand pairs each year to the special ops community. It is not the only fin they use, but many do use the new technology.

Special ops, huh? Perhaps they prefer splits because of the automatic "silt cloaking" feature?

:D

I was thinking of spending on those spring loaded aqua lung fins on a sex worker then next time I go diving.

Have you considered running for Govmt?

Splits were designed by the Communists in the 50's as an attempt to undermine the "American Way". Sadly, even though Communism has been in decline since the early '90's, they are still winning hearts and minds through their subversive fin design. Other notable Communist dive innovations include single hose regulators, dive computers, air integrated dive computers, Air 2's, Force Fins, Jacket BC's and list goes on and on.

And more to the point splits also contribute to global warming. Whatever that is.

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom