**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you folks on this 12 page thread talking about those flippers that are torn down the center??????

Edit:
In reply to CD's post:

Exactly! Coors light and Corona are the "party bar" brands of choice. Always in the back of the outside fridge.

I have even kept O'Doul's on hand which I have consumed over water, gatorade or a soda.

I have often wondered:
If one split in a fin is good, should I attempt to place, say, 6 splits in my fins?

I mean, wouldn't this improve the fin performance by a factor of 6 over a single split?
I could outrun anybody with a blazing fast, hydrodynamic speed of 15 knots ! ! ! ! I could rival the speed of some small power boats !

wear one split and one paddle and see if you swim clockwise or anti clockwise . this will tell you which fin is better.

wear one split and one paddle and see if you swim clockwise or anti clockwise . this will tell you which fin is better.

well no, that tells you which is stronger per kick, but not which is more efficient in terms of energy use or effort.

I still wanna know if my "6 split" split fins would be better than "single split" split fins.

I like richerso's idea.
I would only split it 4 times because with six. you would swim so fast your mask would fly off or squish your eyeballs!

I like richerso's idea.
I would only split it 4 times because with six. you would swim so fast your mask would fly off or squish your eyeballs!

That's really good but PLEASE don't encourage him!

Sometime, around the turn of the century, tests of the Biofin were done at the University of Rochester. The split blades of the Biofin were taped together for one of these tests. The technicians determined that the fins were just as fast with taped blades as with split blades.Personally, I never accepted the "propeller" theory. Dr Jim Grier, who has extensive experience evaluating fins, and is by far the better scientist of any of the fin testers, believed that the split fin was more efficient because water was channeled through the trough reducing spillover and turbulence on the outer rails. I don't know if he still subscribes to this but I do. FWIW
If one looks closely at the top paddle fins of today, the Mares Avanti Superchannel, the Aeris Mako, etc. they all have flexible center panels, much like a taped split fin.
Pesky

Back
Top Bottom