Split Fins For a Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
I totally agree. The split fin vs blade fin debate is one of the biggest on this board. Those who like one style tend to dislike the other. Try seveal types/brands and see which you like best. Personally, I have tried 3 or 4 different brands/models of splits and have yet to find a pair I liked.

Ditto to what Herman said! But I'll add that not only have I never found a pair of splits I like (they feel too floppy to me), when trying on various types of paddle fins, I found quite a few of them I didn't like either.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!

You mentioned that you plan to buy a set of fins that would satisfy both your snorkelling and scuba diving needs... if that is the case, i would recommend that you get yourself a regular set of conventional fins as i've noticed that split fins do not perform well during snorkelling.

However, i personally feel that split fins are awesome! Bought a Scubapro twin jet hi viz yellow fins... buddy and i compared kick cycles and concluded that it provided more propulsion and best of all, with the colour of it, you will be visible to all!!

Aeris Velocity Duo Splits are what my wife and I use. They can be had online for about $70 and work great for us. Best value in splits I could find and they tested quite well in the Scuba Lab tests if that means anything to you.

We also tried the standard Aeris Velocity paddle fins and while we liked them, the Duo Splits are easier on our ankles and seem to us to provide more speed for less work.

Scubapro_Freak makes a good point.

Splits are not at their best when swimming face down on the surface. Surface swims in scuba gear when you're on your back, yes, but face down, the thrust can end up a bit splashy due to the type of kick needed to get the most of splits.

Something to consider. (They'll work ok, regardless, but just not their best.)

Scubapro_Freak:
However, i personally feel that split fins are awesome! Bought a Scubapro twin jet hi viz yellow fins... buddy and i compared kick cycles and concluded that it provided more propulsion

You really can't compare kick cycles to determine a better fin unless those kick cycles have been done by the same person, and in a controlled enviroment. A paddle will more than likely go faster stride for stride, but you may be able to make faster strides, with less effort.

Scubapro_Freak:
You mentioned that you plan to buy a set of fins that would satisfy both your snorkelling and scuba diving needs... if that is the case, i would recommend that you get yourself a regular set of conventional fins as i've noticed that split fins do not perform well during snorkelling.

Apollo (makers of the Bio Fin) evan claim thay don't work well for snorkeling. I love my Bio Fins, but they suck for snorkeling.

Another question would be... how much do you use a snorkel once you've got a regulator? Do you find you use the snorkel still, or do you just head straight down and use the reg? I'm asking because I don't know if I should invest much in a snorkel if I plan to only do it this summer before moving into scuba?

Even a good snorkel isn't terribly expensive. They have their occasional use, although most people I know don't bother with them much, as long as conditions are decent. I'll often bring a good folding snorkel with me in a pocket, however, just in case.

I use mine for snorkeling on occasion with friends who don't dive, etc., so how much you'll use it depends entirely on you.

Dakkon:
Another question would be... how much do you use a snorkel once you've got a regulator? Do you find you use the snorkel still, or do you just head straight down and use the reg? I'm asking because I don't know if I should invest much in a snorkel if I plan to only do it this summer before moving into scuba?
I found it to be an annoyance flopping around on the side of your head...

That being said, it can come in *very* handy on a long surface swim. Additionally, it's required for a few of the certs.

Like CompuDude, we picked up folding "SNAP" snorkels. They roll up into a manageable ball, and hang off a lower d-ring, out of the way, til needed...

Dakkon:

I'll probably get flamed for this, but that's life on the board. I have done a lot of diving and taught a fair few students and I still wear a snorkel all the time and encourage my students to. Why? Often you will find yourself on the surface waiting for your buddy/s and it's handy to be able to just whack your snorkel in and have a look what is below you, any fish under the boat or you may not feel like floating around with the sun in your eyes. Rather than sucking on your reg, in with the snorkel. Other people will argue it makes you look like a beginner (I personally reckon it shows you have done enough diving to know not to waste your air, but maybe my ego isn't as fragile as others) or it creates drag (if you can notice drag from a snorkel you are a better man than me). I admit, if you have it in the wrong spot on your mask strap when you are diving it can be annoying, but that's pretty simple to adjust.
In short I reckon get a snorkel and don't be shy in wearing it. Jump in, get positively buoyant, reg out, snorkel in, it's always worked for me. If it's rough and you are getting slop splashing over you, put your reg back in, common sense.

At the end of the day (it gets dark) it's whatever you are comfortable with.

Regards to all.

Back
Top Bottom