Split Fins For a Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dakkon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm just getting into diving, and I'm the kind of guy that goes all out and has to have the best gear. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't like me doing that until I've "tried out the sport" for a little while. So, while I'm very tempted to go out and spend $150 on a set of fins, I know she'd kill me! I'm looking to spend about $60 or less on a good set of open-foot split fins. I'm going to start with snorkeling this summer and then enroll in a scuba course this winter, so I'd like to buy some nice split fins that will work well for snorkeling but will also be good to dive with. I'm 100% sure I'm going to get into scuba, since I've wanted to do it for about 10 years now and am finally at a spot where I can afford to dump some good time/money into it... I'm not sure if I should go with a $60 pair, or get a cheap pair now and then upgrade once I finish my scuba course? I know what _I_ would do... but I also know what my WIFE will want me to do... :) I've read a few reviews of fins on here, but most of them are for the higher end fins. Anyone have any idea what I could look at? The dive shop here in town only carries one split fin for < $60, and then another that's > $100. Thanks for your help!

The split fins are an excellent choice for most any diver. I own one of the very first pair of Apollo Bio fins to hit the market and have never thought twice about buying anything else. There are some great choices out there from manufacturers such as Aeris, Oceanic, and Tusa as well!

Yeah, thats a great price for those fins. I picked up a pair on ebay for $65 (almost new) and love them. I know they rated very well for split fins and my LDS sells them for $189, so for $80 you can't go wrong.

Rule 1.... There is really no such thing as absolute best in scuba gear. This is adaptive stuff. What works great for me may be unsuitable for you. With that said you can set aside breaking the piggy bank in the interest of doing the right thing.

We entered the sport via skin-diving just as you plan. We got Aeris Velocity (not split) fins and they have served us very well. Between myself and my wife we have 3 pairs. I have one for wet and 1 for diving dry. The Leisure Pro price will please you. A LDS may come close enough.

Get her a set as well and call it a belated Mothers Day gift. Nothing eases the guilt as much as being both addicted.

Pete

Those Tusa splits are a good start. Go with them. The Apollo splits are better, IMO, but they're considerably more expensive, and in your circumstances I would start with the Tusa's, and if you're still into it a couple of years from now decide if it's worth it to upgrade.

Try them out first if you can. As with any gear, use what works best for you.

Diver Dennis:
Try them out first if you can. As with any gear, use what works best for you.

I totally agree. The split fin vs blade fin debate is one of the biggest on this board. Those who like one style tend to dislike the other. Try seveal types/brands and see which you like best. Personally, I have tried 3 or 4 different brands/models of splits and have yet to find a pair I liked.

If you do read any of the fin debates, just skip to the end upon which everyone agrees that it's a personal decision, and you need to try them out yourself... This is where your LDS comes in (assuming they can offer you a few different pair to try).

Also, keep in mind, if you're looking at splits, different brands can differ almost as widely as splits and paddles...

Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom