Split Fins and Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had any problems... I do mostly beach dives.. LOTS of sand all around the reefs. Small flutter kicks don't seem to raise any sand... vortex schmortex... I don't even have to work and I get along pretty quick and well, no invisible monsters.

To each his own I guess, but like I said, never had the problem and I don't think I ever will.

Technique baby, it's all in the technique :D

just givin ya a hard time... I'm sure that there are instances where a regular fin would be better. Especially if you're an old guy :D that was brought up on that "authentic" equipment .... :D

and raise you 20' of fish poop! Most of our lakes are filling in with none other than... FISH POOP!!! I have buried my arm to the pit and it still feels "squishy". It takes very little to stir up a LARGE Dark Brown Cloud when the poop hits the fin, ifn' you know what I'm talkin' about, Chester!

Again, I just know that most people who dive the split fins don't understand the theory, and they keep using those HUGE kicks, instead of a tiny flutter. Unlike Jet Fins, you kick quicker to move faster, not harder. You really barely have to kick to keep up with most people.

Boy O' Boy netdoc: I sure am jeallous :D I want to stick my arm in the fish poop... what on earth possesd you to do such a thing????

Uh Wheezy...

'Cause it was there???

Actually, I did not realize it to be fish poop until much later that day. It was one of those "Ewwwww, that was fish poo?" moments. Many of Florida's lakes are filling in with organic sediment. Lake Apopka used to be at least quadruple it's size. Now vacant farms sit on the "old lake bed" with muck that goes over 50ft deep. When they used to farm it, they measured a 3/4" decrease in the fields every year. Part from being absorbed by the plants, and also part just being blown away in the wind. It actually has great preservative properties as it excludes oxygen while wet. They have found wooden canoes that have been mired in the stuff that have been dated 4 to 5 K years.

This is the fountain of youth everybody has been looking for. Rub fish poop on your face and you stay young looking!

I think I'll just age gracefully thank you very much.

As for the fins, lots of motion = lots of air usage. That's where regular fins come into play. You make slow kicks in confined environments, not quick flutter kicks, this is done to conserve air. You can't do helicopter turns with splits or the modified frog kicks, well you might be able to eventually, but they are just not efficient.

What's all this about going fast, I thought we were down here for the enjoyment, peace and solitude of the underwater environment. Not a race.

ID......first cousin to the inventor of the "Frog Kick"

Who told you that you cant do modified kicks??? Frog.. ?? my goodness man...

I'm really starting to think that I'm some wierd exception. I can do any kick with my Atomics that you can do with ANY other fin...

Albeit I'm a six and half foot tall bike racer, but I'd BET I can out frog just about anyone with them or anyother kick for that matter. I don't get why people have this impression that you can't do modified kicks... it really is quite strange...

ohh well, I guess this is one of those things that will never be decided upon (until they don't make regular fins any longer) :D

As long as there are "technical divers" there will be regular fins.

Trust me on this.

ID

I trust no one.... Yes, there will always be regular fins/ you'll be able to find them in Kmart with the inflatable kiddy pools, right next to the toy department...

It's funny why people just wont except that there is a better product... Ohh I'm hardcore technical diver those split fins are no good, you can't even frog kick.. Blahh haaa haaaaa Okeee dokeeee

Remember who said it first... They WILL be obsolete :D

just having fun... don't get all huffy puffy

I use Twin-jets for everything.And yes even with 2xlp95s and 2 stages bottles I can and do blow by my single fin buddies.They are used by me to do every imaginable type of kick.The Atomics are longer and stiffer so they might even be better.I get my info from people I know and dive with.Anyone can quote the party line.Try using these things and you'll be convinced.I have 100+ dives in the past 2 months from 30' to 240'from cave to wreck to reef and the only thing I have bad to say about these fins is that it took to long for them to be invented.BTW ,my wife(5 foot nothin)had to swim an ovrweighted and stressed diver back to the boat 2 weeks ago who was wearing jet-fins.Seems she said they were so heavy they tired her out in the 1/2 kt current.My wife was wearing twin-jets and had her skin tied around her waist as she swam the girl back about 50 yards.

I use dbl 98's and usually two stages 40 cu ft and have been using the Scubapro twinjet fins and really like them. I really don't know why some divers are so negative towards the design. I find that I am not as "winded" after a long swim. A stiff fin is not necessarily more efficient than a split fin.

Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom