Split Fins and Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
While at Athens Scuba Park, I had the chance to talk with one of my good friends who is a serious technical diver about fins. During the conversation, he stated that split fins are not the best choice when doing tech diving, especially when you are geared up with doubles, stage bottles, and the other extra gear for a long and deep tech dive. Something about them not being stiff enough to push all that mass through the water.

Any comments from the Tech and Split Fin divers on this board?

--TM

Hey TM,

Yeah, I've heard of many tech divers dis the split fins. Some because they don't want to try anything new, some because they tried the WRONG fin, and others just plain don't like them.

I bought my Split Fins at Mr SCUBA, Mr Hal Watt's shop here in Orlando. They pointed out that the only fins they want their tech divers and their intructors to wear are the Scuba Pro BLACK. They are the stiffest in the Scuba Pro line. Since these were bought more than a year ago, I do not know if this is their current policy. In my discussions with OTHER techies that had tried the fin, they had invariably tried the grey (graphite) fins whish are way too flex. I dive with dual steel 72s (with only a 5mil wetsuit) and also with singles HP 120s. I have no problem keeping up with students OR intructors, and am seen as quite a strong swimmer when I have them on. I am more built like a manatee than Johnny Weismuller, if you catch my drift, Chester!

THE BIG PROBLEM with the Scuba Pro Twin Jets are the buckle system. Piss poor, and I am surprised that I still own both fins. I bought a set of DIR style spring straps a month or so ago. When I went to put them on, I discovered that one buckle had completely broken on the top side and was almost broken through on the bottom. Get and use the springs, Mike. They make the fin truly AWESOME!!!

The simple answer is that split fins are attrocious for modified kicks often used by 'techies'. For example the frog kick is used alot inside wrecks and caves so as not to stir up any silt. I now use the modified frog kick 90% of the time in open water, especially in lakes when other divers are about. The stiffer the fin the better, although we arnt talking stiff as a plank of wood. The scubapro jetfins, IDI jetfins and turtle fins are a few of the most popular. Check out the modified frog kick here:-

http://www.frogkick.nl/frogkick.htm

The whole debate is null. I'm sorry but these people obviously have not tried the Atomic's.

I can do ANY kick with them and when it comes time to haul, I've still not been passed. I'll beit I'm a 6'5" athlete, but the Atomic's have no limitations that I've seen.

Best darn buckle and strap system out there. PERIOD...

:D That's just my opinion and you know what they say about those......

Wheezy...points appreciated, but what was your setup? single tank? or more complicated?

What my friend was saying was that when you have to push doubles, plus two stage tanks, plus all the other gear for the dive (when the gear collectively weights almost as much as you do) splits have a tendancy to "fold up" and not have enough push to move that much mass.

That's why I really like the ATOMIC's. Yes, there are fins that obviously will push more water. The ATOMIC's are longer and stiffer than (could be wrong as I have not tried everything) any other split out there. I'm a BIG guy and can not imagine ever needing more thrust from a fin EVER.

I've used the things bodysufing for crying out loud. They are quite simply the most versitile fin I've ever seen.

I've never done any crazy technical stuff with 200+pounds of gear, but I can be sure that the fins would handle with no problem. THEY WILL NOT FOLD as I said before they are much more like a traditional fin than say the Twin Jet's or the Appolo's but offer less resistance.

The ATOMIC's don't have any limits that I can see vs. a quattro or anything else for that matter. The more I use them, the less I use anything else.

Good Luck People... :D Just try stuff, you like it you buy it. EVERYONE SHOULD AT LEAST TRY THE ATOMICS

(geesh, sounds like I work for them or someting... just a good product)

The vortex pattern created by split fins are not good for diving in silty environments period.

When I tried Corsair's TUSA splits, he mentioned the same thing (he was following me in trail in the Athens Scuba Park quarry). He said that even though we were about 3 feet off of the bottom, he saw small "puffs" of silt as the vortex hit, "as if an invisible creature was walking on the bottom."

I guess it depends on how fast/hard you are kicking. I find that a tiny flutter kick can propel me just fine. I can get within a foot or so of the bottom and NOT kick up a storm. Could never do that with Jet Fins. The split is designed to send most of the water straight back, which is why they are so efficient.

I say this without being a tech diver. I have never penetrated a wreck, although I have been in a cave or three (springs mostly). As for lacking maneuverability, I have to concur. I can not readily change directions with them.

Pete....Athens has a very soft clay bottom (in some spots, you can easily sink your hand in to your mid-forearm). So ANY water disturbance can be reflected on the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom