Split fins and Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spottydog

Registered
Reaction score
Hi from the UK

Having been diving for a few years using Avanti Quattro's and getting tired legs at times I have decided to buy some new fins and I'm stronlgy considering force or split fins. There are plenty of people that have posted that love the split and force fins but I would love to hear from people that, having used them, DON'T like these fins and why they don't like them

I tried them. While I can't say that I DISLIKED them, I can say that I like my quatro pro fins better. I rented a pair from my LDS to see if I would like them better. I found that while it was easier to fin with them (almost like not wearing fins at all) I didn't see a big change in my consumption and I don't think I had the speed I can get with my fins. The LDS tells me it is because I need to change my kicking habits from longer strokes to shorter. I don't know. Before I spend $200 on another set of fins, I will try them more and see. For now, I will stick to the quatro.

Hi Spottydog,

First welcome to the board from North Carolina.

I tried a pair of Scubapro split fins in a pool a couple of weeks ago. I have a pair of fins like yours and had both on site. I tried one pair and then the other and I really did not like the split fins. It felt like I did not have any fins on at all and I lost a good bit of speed with the split fins. We had an uw speedometer so the speed loss was real and not just "I felt like I went slower". I will be the first to admitt that I may need to "learn" to use them and I intend to get a pair (borrow/rent) and try them on an actual dive but for now, I would not buy a pair. From what I have read from those that do like them, they all seem to agree that you tend to loose a lot of control with them, ie, they go straight well but if you need to hold position or back up, they don't do that well at all. I like to do some photography and take pride in my control while holding position so from that point of view, I don't want them. Best advise I can give is to rent/borrow a pair for a couple of dives and see if they work for you.

IMHO, you are asking 2 separate questions

I have used both and despite looks I would place them at extreme opposite ends of the fin spectrum.

I tried Force fins on 2 or 3 dives and couldn't rip them off fast enough! Yes, one got speed, but at great expense my thighs hurt within 5 minutes and stayed sore for days. My air consumption was astronomical. I will never put them on again!

I tried a couple types of new split fins and agree that it changes ones perception of kicking, but after an hour of playing ended up prefering them over my old fins for everything except tight turns and swimming around line (entanglement possibility--I am clumsy). I bought a pair of TUSAs and use them for pretty much all OW diving now, but did have to change out the straps/buckles. For some reason I could never get them to work well, or even acceptably. I drilled holes and put on springs.

HTH

I have been eyeing the Tusa splits, couple questions if you don't mind...

Did you try other splits prior to deciding on the Tusa
Do you notice a decrease in air usage with them

I have the Liberators and Reef tour (closed heel) both of which I have good control and speed, but I'm told the splits make a world of difference. Reading the couple posts here, it sounds like there is a loss of power and control, suggesting these would be better for little or no current. Enlighten me!

Not sure how helpful I am. I am not big on brand differences or physics. There are others here who know much more.

I only tried the open heel versions, but have tried TUSA x-pert zoom blue and black, ScubaPro Twinjets, and Apollo Bios. I didn't notice much difference between the first 3 and went with the TUSAs 'cause they were cheaper than SP and Black because I like black gear, not because I notice any benefit to the "extra stiffness".

I did not use any kind of meter, but when I calculated air consumption for an interested friend it is running about 8% better than similar conditions last year. Could be just me--who knows?. I have not noticed a loss of power and have had no problems in some impressive currents, or with bulky gear, but it a strange feeling not to have anything to push against when you do have work to do swimming.

The Apollos were the first ones I tried and it was only once, so while I didn't feel as good about them, it may have just been my inexperience.

HTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom