split fin technique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwaynebr

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a relatively new diver and have a question I hope someone out there can help me answer. What is the most effective method of kicking using split fins? Thank you in advance for your replies.

jwaynebr

In my experience, a quick, fairly shallow flutter works best with splits. I've only done a handful of dives on a few different splits, so..

Be sure you keep far enough off the bottom though :wink:

For speed the kicks should be rapid and short, try to keep the kick confined to the thickness of your body (they are fastest when your body remains streamlined). The fins will actually be faster than traditional style fins on a surface swim. One problem with this fast rapid kick is your heart rate and breathing rate will increase so there is potential for increased air consumption...

We took part in a comparison test for SCUBA-Pro, they sent both rubber and graphite models of the splits fins and a underwater speedometer to record the data.

I have not used the fins since, I had trouble controlling pivots and turns while filming with them / they are very flexible. I am used to the Jet fins rigidity...

God Luck,
Jeff Lane

From what I have been able to see around here.... split finners sorta get them down into the bottom and stir them back and forth vigorously... and then after that... I dunno... I have never been able to see the rest of the technique...

:wink:

I'd hate to think of myself as a bottom stirrir... in fact I rarely let my self get that close. When I do get close the the bottom (intentionally to see some fish, etc) I use a dolphin kick which hasn't caused any problems with stirring. This is the kick I use in place of the frog kick, seems to work equally well.

Pug, you really hurt my feelings...
I am not supposed to do that am I... wow, this nice stuff is going to be tuff to pull off...

Oh... yes... there it is... the escape hatch....

Dearest MNS,
It is only around here that this happens and you live waaaaay over there and so I am sure that you do not use this technique...

and.... ummmm.... and....

If there are any splitfinners from the PNW on this board.... ummm... I didn't mean to greviously wound you either... I... I... must not have been there when you were there and the ones I saw stirring the bottom were .... hmmmm...

:idea:

disguised DIR divers trying out split fins incognito!!!

I think I posted somewhere about certain divers being able to swim with only one fin... since their other foot is constantly in their mouth!!!

I love my split fins. I do NOT rototill... I can even do a frog kick with them, but they are more effective with a modified scull or a tight flutter.

With traditional fins; faster=harder

With spit fins; faster=faster&tighter

I have been developing different muscles now that I dive splits. I feel they REDUCE my air consumption not increase it.

There is too much "flexibility" in spits to kick harder and get anywhere... some divers have a hard time making the adjustment and instead of allowing themselves time to figure it out, they ASSUME that they just won't work. PATIENCE is the key... and you can whiz along the bottom without stirring up anything. You won't leave the other divers in the dust... you will just leave them in your wake.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I am not supposed to do that am I... wow, this nice stuff is going to be tuff to pull off...

Dearest MNS,
It is only around here that this happens and you live waaaaay over there and so I am sure that you do not use this technique...

Ack, no worries... you have a 'couple' more dives than me under your belt so your opinion is always valued. 'Someone' has to give you a hard time once in a while though, might as well be me!

:wink:

MNScuba once bubbled...
'Someone' has to give you a hard time once in a while though, might as well be me!
You were giving me a hard time???

Shoot any time a guy says something like, "You really hurt my feelings" I figure he has got to be typing in falsetto and we are all suppose to have a big old chauvinist belly laugh over it!

Ooooops.... some how I think that might come back to haunt me...

Shoot... another box of chocolates please..... and ummm... how about some of those flowers over there... yeah... the *dozen for a buck* ones... yeah, that's the ticket... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom