Split Fin Physics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson and John/SeaRat,

Interesting info and stories re Grand Order of Water Rats and C->SEA->SeaRat!

Who knows, maybe we wet rats will get together for some diving some day!

DSAO -- no matter what kind of a swimming mammal one is
Jim

PF: I was working at Farallon at the time. We were testing the fins @ the old Ed Brawely's store in the pool. The fin would "lock Up" your ankle but was not very efficient for any kick styles. It was a stiff rubber fin, very uncomfortable and not at all efficient. The fins looked "cool" but they did not work. Anyone who has a pair has a relic.

I got mine right after finishing what is now called the army's rescue diver course and doing my instructor cert in San Diego. Could not have been in much better shape...and I tried to build up my leg strength using them...all it did was cause lots of pain. But it is an interesting example of making fins wrong.

A few days ago I got into the water with a pair of Force Fins (Large, original), a pair of Scubapro SeaWing fins, and my scoop fins. The kicks are so different that I'm not sure they can easily be compared. However, it is apparent that there is almost so propulsion coming from the up-stroke.

I will be back into the water tomorrow morning. I am wearing a pair of pool booties with this set of fins (the Force Fins) and the Jet Fins, so may put my open water scoop fins into the water with them. The protocol I've developed is to swim 50 yards dolphin kick, to see what the number of kicks would be in that distance. I also try to time the swims with a pool lap swim clock. More later...

SeaRat

Last edited:
that really only compares distance per kick, try a monofin, you could cover the entire pool in 5-7 kicks but that doesn't make it a good fin for diving.

Distance per kick to me shows at least some properties of the fin's efficiency at propelling me through the water. It gives me a way of measuring this efficiency against different fins and different blade types.

SeaRat

Dear John, Thanks for letting us know you have a pair of Force Fin's that were made over 25 years ago. My Artist Father Gordon Blair Evans hand carved those letters L Pat.Pend. Since that time I have received over 33 fin Patents. Contacting me is as easy as dialing 911. Hit the contact button at Forcefin.com, or pm me at Scubaboard. Enjoy your fun and games.

Last edited:
Yes, you are missing quite a bit. If you simply go up and down with buoyancy, or drift with a current, then fins probably don't mean too much. But if you swim in a current, pull something heavy off the bottom, or swim a distance, then fins make a whole lot of difference. I typically river dive, and work in very high current situations. A puny fin simply won't allow me to do the things I like to do in the water. If you don't believe how far we've come, take try a pair of Churchill fins if you can find them. You'll see what you have been missing. (By the way, that was a mighty bad choice of words above.)

A while back one fellow put up a pair of Finis zoomers as an example of a wing concept (I think). Well, Finis makes more than these zoomers--they make monofins, which are the undisputed fastest fins in the water. If you want to see them in action, you can look at the Texas Finswimming Association's website, which has a video clip made by the Russian Underwater Federation which you should take a look at. The monofin uses a somewhat different theory of propulsion, which involves a long, flat surface with an "S" shaped curve in it which pushes water down the blade. It takes practice to get the kick correct, and make much headway with a monofin. If you want to see the wake turbulence and vortices put out off the monofin, take a look at the other video on the Texas Finswimming Association's website, titled "100m Women's Immersion..." This is an underwater swim with scuba (tank held in front of the finswimmer), so the vortices show in the swimmer's bubbles. I say this as the past (1980s) Director of Finswimming for the Underwater Society of America. When I was Director, the world record for 50 meters apnea (breath-holding) was 14.99 seconds. It's lower now.

This morning I took my three pairs of Plana fins to the pool. I had the original fins, the ones with a split modification, and the ones I modified into the scoop design. I swam in a 25 yard pool, two lengths for time, five times per set, and three sets (each with a different pair of fins). I swam only the dolphin kick. I counted the number of strokes and the time of the swim for each one, and recorded them. I tried very hard to keep the same level of effort on each of the swims, and used the same turn (a flip turn). Here are the fins I used:
PlanaPlusExperiment.jpg

The results are that the split fins were slightly faster than the blade fins, but not significantly so. The average number of strokes and times were as following:

Fin type.......................Strokes........................Seconds
Flat...............................30.8............................43
Split..............................30.2............................43
Scoop............................29...............................40

In a mile swim, the scoop would have beaten (had I been able to keep up the same effort for a mile) both the flat blade and the split by 1.76 minutes. The scoop fin would have used about 63 fewer strokes than the blade fin in a mile swim, and 42 less strokes than the split fin.

So now I do have some numbers on the scoop fin. This is a very preliminary evaluation, and based only upon 2 lengths x 25 yards/length x 5 sets = 250 yards of swimming for each set. So the reliability is not there, but it is a start.

SeaRat

With respect, I'm really not missing anything. You showed by your response that there was only 3 types of fin that you tested, and I think you'll agree with me that your results were expected.

Anyone who SCUBA dives at a certain level understands a certain level of hydrodynamics. At a certain point it all gets chalked up to personal preference. Blade, split, whatever.

I prefer blade, I use Slingshots in current, I use Mantarays for travel. I would use splits if I ever had knee/ankle trouble, and I would try variants if I were unsatisfied with my results.

Again, no disrespect, and I'm always a fan of scientific debate, but this seems like a topic that is long since disputed.

SeaRat:

Good to know that you are still interested in testing fins as an independent. You are testing and observing with your own methods. Well done. Not surprising from a former "Smoke Jumper". My USMC OCS roommate was a Fire Service Smoke Jumper. He finished first in our class of 250 candidates. He never bragged, and always helped those who were struggling a bit.

Looking forward to hearing more of your observations.

With all the data compiled over the years, and all the fins that come and go over the years.
Testing fins in all age groups, gear configurations, different kick styles, men or women, beach diving, boat diving, full foot , open heel, and every other variant and combo possible, does anyone think that we'll ever know which fin is the best overall?

Does anyone have an idea of which fin is the most popular in the world by numbers sold. In other words, if you were to count every single fin in existance on this planet right now used by divers, (not in a warehouse or hanging in a dive shop) which fin would it be. Any ideas?

Does anyone have an idea of which fin is the most popular in the world by numbers sold. In other words, if you were to count every single fin in existance on this planet right now used by divers, (not in a warehouse or hanging in a dive shop) which fin would it be. Any ideas?

I doubt anyone knows for sure. Probably something cheap.

Back
Top Bottom