Split fin haters... please explain:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't question that your fins score high - they were my fins of choice for a long time. Your latest version of very stiff fins are probably even better than the ones I used. No doubt that Bio Fins are fast and easy on knees - but they often caused me toe/arch cramps which I have never heard mentioned in any test.

In fact my wife still uses her pair of XTs since I have not gotten a pair of Force Fins she feels work as well for the variety of kicks she uses (that may change with her Christmas present) - but she still complains of foot cramps

My problem is the whole fin testing methodology and the fact that I have seen some fins get high scores that made no sense to me. Some (not pointing at Bio Fins) had a very limited "skill set" that they did well but still were rated "tester's choice". Which just makes me question the parameters used for the testing, which were never made clear. What I want is real open and honest testing that spells out the how, what and why of the tests.

If that type of testing ever occurs, I hope you will participate. I would bet there are lots of manufacturers that will not. (In my honest opinion).

As I said, as an engineer all I want to see is the objective criteria used for the tests, the goals of the test and the qualifications of the divers who do the testing in regard to the qualities being tested. If you want to test for ultimate speed then use divers with super strong legs and can absolutely maximize the speed - but don't tell me just because a fin is the fastest, it is the all around best fin for diving.

Hey bud, how's it going? I really enjoyed getting to do a dive with you in Cozumel in May. I hope all is going well. I just recently learned that Opal of Scuba Mau died of a diving accident, which was really shocking. Oh.. and thanks for your input.

I also see the problems they are having -- problems that hinder their potential for maximum fun......One of the BIGGEST HINDRANCES they all face, is that they have such a hard time moving at "the speed they want to move at" through the water.....So they "thrash harder", and they get closer to the speed they feel they need to stay in the DM led group they are in....

That's a (lack of) training issue.

If they're trying to "keep up" with anybody or anything, it's because they weren't taught to be self-reliant in the water and weren't taught that it's not necessary or desirable to "follow the leader." It's also quite often a weighting/trim/buoyancy issue, where they know if they stop kicking they'll sink to the bottom.

flots.

They work just as well in current. The reason people are saying that is because they are different from what they are used to. Most people are set in their ways and dont like change. Next time you hear someone saying bad things about split fins ask them if they have every used them before. From all of the people I know that hate split fins non of them have ever used them before.

They work just as well in current. The reason people are saying that is because they are different from what they are used to. Most people are set in their ways and dont like change. Next time you hear someone saying bad things about split fins ask them if they have every used them before. From all of the people I know that hate split fins non of them have ever used them before.
Well I tried them.....Have you ever tried composite freedive blades like the DiveR's ?
I will be happy to demo the difference for you, if you would like to do a dive here in Palm Beach ( i.e., get you a pair of composite blades to try to compare with your favorites splits)....Bonus is you can dive with lemon sharks, goliath groupers, huge schools of bait fish, and many other huge concentrations of marine life you wont see anywhere else :)

Agreed we might like the fins you suggest better, but when you demo the split fins for comparison I don't believe you'll be rototilling automatically, eh? :)

<<many other huge concentrations of marine life you wont see anywhere else>>

huge concentrations of particular marine life we won't see anywhere else or huge concentrations of any marine life we won't see anywhere else? It must be the former as there are several places for the latter. Agreed South Florida will be cool but not exclusively.

Agreed we might like the fins you suggest better, but when you demo the split fins for comparison I don't believe you'll be rototilling automatically, eh? :)

<<many other huge concentrations of marine life you wont see anywhere else>>

huge concentrations of particular marine life we won't see anywhere else or huge concentrations of any marine life we won't see anywhere else? It must be the former as there are several places for the latter. Agreed South Florida will be cool but not exclusively.
Right....there are several species that amass in great numbers in Palm Beach....The Goliath Grouper Aggregations of 80 to 150 monster fish on one dive site are an ideal example of what I was describing....Also monstrous schools of baitfish that can go for half a mile, sea turtles in such quantity it is not uncommon to be able to see more than 40 turtles on a single dive...Lemon sharks mating in large aggregations, and on and on....cool stuff to see, and the fin demo just some icing :)

Dan,
Is there an online retailer for these DiveR fins? I can't find much info on them online.

TP

Dan for another $150 I am not seeing it as a competitive fin in sport diving, I also wanted to see what fin you were talking about.

Dan for another $150 I am not seeing it as a competitive fin in sport diving, I also wanted to see what fin you were talking about.
If it was just the cost, I would agree.....but the DiveR's work like a Lamborghini Gallardo, and the Cressi or Mares or Picasso freedive fins are trolley cars in comparison.....and if the cressis are a trolley, the splitfins would be mopeds driven on ice :)

Back
Top Bottom