splashdown divers stay away!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubble Junky:
Spear fishing on SCUBA is not exactly sporting is it either ?
JahJahwarrior:
But, it's the ocean. You have no particular right to use a place, do you? So if the other guy is 300 feet plus from any of your divers, do you have a right to complain just because you think that spearfishing on SCUBA is unethical?
I'd complain because it's potentially dangerous, not because of my ethical views on the subject (hence the word 'either' in my original post) - spear fishing and divers should not be in the same area/dive site.........
dumpsterDiver:
Some people may conclude that it was rude for me to drop a diver with a gun within 100 yards of a group of recreational divers and I can respect that opinion (even though there is no regulation against it).
.........Rude ? More irresponsible, and a bit 'pot/kettle'. Just 'cause there's no law/regulation doesn't make it a good idea.

The spearfisherman were hundreds of feet from the other divers. Was that not explained clearly enough?

dumpsterDiver:
The spearfisherman were hundreds of feet from the other divers. Was that not explained clearly enough?
Well you were near enough to piss off another dive boat. Do divers not swim/move about where you are ? It was explained very clearly that you decided to drop 100 yards away (300ft/<100m). A distance that can easily be closed by two dive groups swimming towards one another.

I think there's enough here for people to make their own decisions re: that operation.
it's really going nowhere now.

Having dove from Slashdown, I would be interested to hear what Lynn might have to say about the incident. So far as I know she's not a net user like we are, so I suppose that's unlikely to happen in this forum.

In this area of SE Florida, on a nice weekend day, there are so many dive boats on the reefs that it would be almost impossible to stay more than 300 feet from another group of divers. I think the mooring balls are closer than 300 feet apart. If dumpsterdiver was 300 feet away from Splashdown, that's way more than enough distance.

:deadhorse:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom