spit vs defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spit works for me. I usually jump in the water, come back to the surface, then remove mask, spit, rinse, reapply mask and descend.

I've tried several types of defog but spit works just as well and I never forget to bring it with me.

Cheers,

Brett

i did find out that spit works phenominally (i dont know if i mentioned it but i use the cressi big eyes evo goggles) the only thing is that after you come up and take you mask off it starts fogging up again and quickly. so in my experience if you use spit and maybe some defog and just dont remove your mask youll be golden. but my experiments and tests are still on going :)

Spit in mask on boat (dry mask), rub in hard. Do NOT rinse. Place mask on face as normal to enter water. Then when in water THEN rinse the mask and give it a quick rub to remove spit or do it during the descent.
It wont fog up then.

Defog is just very expensive spit.

I have found both spit and baby shampoo methods work very well. Just make sure you let them sit for a bit before washing them off. I have tried many different anti-fog solutions and everytime I use them my mask fogs up. They seem to just be a waste of money to me

Spit works for me (just don't rinse you mask in a communal rinse bucket or you'll get death stares).

Bob (Toronto)

ok so i went on my discover scuba day and used my cressi big eyes evolution goggles, i put anti fog on them and let them sit for about 20 mins while i was waiting for the group before us to get done (yes i did put toothpaste on them when i got them to remove the chemical film on them) but after i washed them off the right side of the mask fogged a little bit, i spit in them when we went to the deeper part but from then i couldnt tell because i let a little bit of water in pinching my nose so for the rest of my dive thing i would just look down and swish my head around do they never got that far, so basically what i want to ask if what works better for you, if you spit on your goggles before the dive or if you would rather put defog on your mask?? or heck maybe you do both??

Personally I don't like to spit in my mask. LOL. I use defog first. If defog is not available then I resort to good ole reliable spit.

I am glad my budget isn't so constrained that I have to factor in the $6 annual cost of quality defog. Kudos to those who still manage to dive under those circumstances. Does spit get more or less effective on a steady diet of spam and beans? :wink:

I find the Sea Gold gel far more effective than my spit, regular Sea Drops, or baby shampoo, and if you neglect to apply it, the previous application will probably still work for you.

Ummm I do have to say. STFU :D It cost me 7 bucks last time and damned if I didn't leave it in my carry on with my computers, and got the stuff confiscated. :shakehead:

At least she bought the story that the dye marker was actually a powder. :eyebrow:

But when you are an idiot it can get expensive. but what can I say...... It is what I do. :D:D

We were having major issues with fogging last week and I finally got around to using magic eraser to remove the film. Not bad after 3 years. So maybe spit will be sufficent now. as that is one fluid they don't make you get rid of in the airport. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom