spit vs defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am glad my budget isn't so constrained that I have to factor in the $6 annual cost of quality defog. Kudos to those who still manage to dive under those circumstances. Does spit get more or less effective on a steady diet of spam and beans? :wink:

I find the Sea Gold gel far more effective than my spit, regular Sea Drops, or baby shampoo, and if you neglect to apply it, the previous application will probably still work for you.

its not a problem to be able to afford 10 dollars of antifog, but ive heard some people say it doesnt work well, i want my mask to be clear so if defog doesnt work, why buy it? thats why i started this thread, to see what ideas there are and what works for people.

its not a problem to be able to afford 10 dollars of antifog, but ive heard some people say it doesnt work well, i want my mask to be clear so if defog doesnt work, why buy it? thats why i started this thread, to see what ideas there are and what works for people.

Antifog works fine on a properly "prepared" mask lens. The only reason I prefer spit is that spit is always available if I need to re-treat the mask (if I find it fogging after a surface swim, or simply forgot to treat the mask before leaving the shore/boat).

I think whatever you use, it comes down to finding the "routine" that works for you, and then stick with it.

I think that anti-fogging routines become almost a religous practice, with unwavering ritual and strong beliefs surrounding the way each of us do it.... but the reality is that a number of different routines will work, as long as they leave a thin "film" on the mask lens.

Just wait untill you ask about a snorkel..... :D

Best wishes.

Baby Shampoo always does the job for me. I also use defog. my spit does nothing for me!

Here's my opinion and I never have a fogging problem. Clean the mask, using anything mentioned above until the lens is squeaky clean. If your finger really squeaks (and it may take three or four cleanings before it squeaks really well) it is clean and, in my opinion, spit will work as well as any of the other suggestions. The key is to start with a very clean mask.

I always tell people to scrub hard and long until they think they have done enough. Then do it again. Then switch to the other lense and repeat. Also, have had good results with using an electric toothbrush for extended agitation intervals....

thanks for the mental image... next time someone is buying or using a bottle I am going to have visions of a t-shirt factory without the fabric or sewing machines...

yeah good thing all those cotton fibers ah.......

Squeaking is the key.
One example.
Walk along shelf towards ocean fully geared with fins clipped to chest, mask in gloveless or fingerless hand.
Whilst still walking scoop mask through rock pool whilst manufactuing saliva, empty mask and spit in.
Rub finger around lens-s getting that grippy squeaky thing happening.
Whilst still walking scoop mask through another rock pool, empty, place on face looking for obstacles in the water and dive in and move away from damaging under water things whilst applying fins. I mean damage to you.

Spend the next hour blissfully unaware of what is happening behind you.

I am fortunate to have never been held up by or seen anyone ever applying any of that other SCHLEPP.

Whilst walking and bending and scooping and emptying and spitting and rubbing and squeaking amongst rock pools avoid falling in.

The key is all about fluidity.

I've used 200 foot viz as defog, and it works beautifully. It's not expensive, and it's easy to use. The problem is that you have to have it WITH you and remember to put it on before you get to the water. My spit, I always have with me :)

I spit, spread it around the lens with my glove and rinse the mask just before entering the water. I have found that doing this too early causes fogging. After more than 20 years, I've never had a problem with mask fogging after using spit.

Baby Shampoo always does the job for me. I also use defog. my spit does nothing for me!

My spit doesn't seem to work - never has. Perhaps I am missing the vital enzymes.

Can I say I'm a little relieved to learn I'm not the only person who's spit appears to be missing the anti-fog enzyme? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom