Spinal Cord Stimulators and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A spinal cord stimulator is for treatment of severe back and leg pain caused by a back injury or a problem with the spinal cord causing constant and debilitating pain. It doesn't cure anything just allow one to live with minimum pain or no pain. Most units are only rated to 10 meters but the nevro unit is rated to 35 meters which will allow a recreational diver to dive to close to their maximum depth.

I have just had the Nevro Spinal Stimulator implanted and it is rated to 35 meters. This is the main reason i chose this model.
Hi, I am considering the Nevro and am wondering how you are doing with it? Still great results a few years in? And have you been diving with this? If so, what depth do you dive to? I just completed the trial for the St. Jude unit but 33ft is its max depth. Nevro is on my list to research! Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi everyone, I just completed a trial for the St. Jude spinal cord stimulator (rated to 33ft) and am a believer in the therapy, however not sure that is the right device for me. All of the posts on here are a few years old so I’m looking for those that have either the Prodigy or Protege St. Jude unit (90 ft) or the Nevro that have continued diving post implantation. Any advice would be appreciated. Has diving to depth decreased the integrity of your unit? Are you still experiencing great results years later? Tough decision to make and want to make the right one. Diving to just 33ft defeats the purpose of “returning to a normal lifestyle” but if that is my best option for living pain free, then the choice is obvious.

I know this is an older thread, but the manufacturers do test their devices to pressure. As long as you stay within the recommendations and you are otherwise healthy and cleared to dive, you should be fine.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
This procedure? Implantation? Is confusing to me. Is this something that would help Billsf or me?

I'm going through a series of treatments that I really really hate with no guarantee of success and even as a Canadian the treatments are not covered, so I feel pain more than one way!!

This treatment procedure is called prolotherapy and each treatment session involves no less than 12 needles stuck deep into my back in a line close in to my back bone, supposedly to stimulate two ligaments attached thereto. I'm baffled as to how this is supposed to be effective but after everything, I guess I'm willing to give it a go.

So, having read this thread and then going to Google, I found myself feeling not much wiser how about the thread subject device. Is anyone able to enlighten me further?

Last edited:
I would be glad to reply as to Spinal Cord Stimulation, as I have one and I am hoping to get PADI certified, but, I was hoping to also get more info on if it is required to go below 3 meters to get certified! (I am tired of just snorkeling in the FL Keys, and desperately want to get certified!
A spinal cord stimulator (SCS) is technically 2 different components that work together. The 1st part consists of a lead with multiple electrodes that is placed directly on your spinal cord. This placement occurs in the upper spine, with a laminectomy done to access your spinal cord. Then, the wires from the electrode lead is ran down through the spinal column. These wires are connected to a battery/pulse generator that is implanted in the area of your hip or abdomen. This is basically the "brains" of the system.
The overall mechanism of the SCS in it's most basic form is to generate pulses to the spinal cord that override the pain signal. If you are familiar with a TENS unit, it is a similar principal, however, the coverage is much, much more specific.
I wish I could describe to you the complete difference that it has made in my life. It truly gave me my life back. For me, I would say I have about 95% of the time where I have very minor to no pain at all with it. I am not sure that everyone has success like I do. Before they will place a permanent one, they do a trial. I believe the criteria for implantation is greater than 50% pain reduction. I had mine implanted 9 years ago and choose to go with a rechargeable unit. Unfortunately, even with the rechargeable unit, I have reached the point where I need to replace the battery/pulse generator, and so I have been reminded of how much it has helped me over the last several years.
I currently have a Medtronic Ultra Restore. I know the dive parameters for this model say 10 m.
I was hoping to find additional information on other models that might be rated for deeper dives prior to replacing my battery. I knew that there was mention of a St. Jude model that allowed much deeper dives, but, the model mentioned previously is an old model. I am still trying to find data on other possibilities!
Hope this helps! You might try google searching of spinal cord stimulation.

This procedure? Implantation? Is confusing to me. Is this something that would help Billsf or me?

I'm going through a series of treatments that I really really hate with no guarantee of success and even as a Canadian the treatments are not covered, so I feel pain more than one way!!

This treatment procedure is called prolotherapy and each treatment session involves no less than 12 needles stuck deep into my back in a line clothes in to my back bone, supposedly to stimulate two ligaments attached there too. I'm baffled as to how this is supposed to be effective but after everything, I guess I'm willing to give it a go.

So, having read this thread and then going to Google, I found myself feeling not much wiser how about the thread subject device. Is anyone able to enlighten me further?

Well good to know I have a necro sis and am looking into diving. I would think that the weightlessness by being in the water would be good for the back. But understand to that there are probably depth restrictions.

My wife is in the process of getting a Spinal Cord Simulator implant and the ability to still dive was very important. She will be getting the Abbott (formally St. Jude Medical) Proclaim Elite. It is rated to depths of 100 ft as confirmed by their customer support.

Hi! I did the trial of the Proclaim but was told it was only rated to 30 ft. I went ahead with the same manufacturer but the rechargeable unit, Prodigy. This is the one they told me was tested to 90 ft. I’m only 6 weeks out from my permanent implant, wondering if this is new information or if one of us was given incorrect information. I would have preferred the Proclaim. By the way, the last two days were the first days I have really felt “better”, almost “good”, and it’s taken the entire 6 weeks...so tell her to be patient with the process. If she needs anyone to talk through the process, I’m here! Good luck!!

There's at least one scs that goes to 100'. I know because I was considering one as well. My doc called the manufacturer and that was the response he got back. I decided not to do it because I think the 100' limit would outweigh the benefits for me.

Edit: pretty sure the one I looked into was the proclaim elite. I guess they must have inconsistent info out there for their sales people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom