Spinal Cord Stimulators and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a spinal cord stimulator implanted to treat my constant leg pain.

The manufacturers say you cannot dive to 33feet.

Is this what others have found?

I'm not so interested in testing it myself, but I will if I have to!!!

Thanks
Mike

I looked at a few implant product sheets and didn't see any pressure specs. (Although there's always some discussion of altitude effects on drug pumps.)

But I do know that there are specific test criteria for implantable devices to qualify as hermetically sealed. A term like "Mil Std 883/1014" rings a bell. IIRC, the applicable standard (there are several) uses a minimum test pressure of 30psi. This is just greater than the absolute pressure (over vacuum) of 29.4psi at 33fsw. Adding a safety factor, it makes sense to say, stay shallower than 33fsw.

Well, I know this is a little late, but I just saw this and was informed TODAY that the St. Jude's Spinal Stim System is good to 90 feet! Not great news for an AOWD, but it's FAR better than 33! If you want to check for yourself, call St. Jude's Medical Neuromodulation Division - Tech Support. Hope this helps!

i just got an email from Boston scientific saying 33 feet is the rec max, St judes uses two stims that i know of Medtronics and B.S,
the medtronic is rated to 33ft-what does this tell you?

Last edited:
It is early 2014 and I'm considering a spinal cord stimulator. Someone please tell me the recommended dive depth limits have increased from 33ft?

Thanks!
Dana in Olympia, WA

It is early 2014 and I'm considering a spinal cord stimulator. Someone please tell me the recommended dive depth limits have increased from 33ft?

Hi Dana,

I'm a little confused as to how your question is to be answered as this thread makes it obvious that pressure ratings vary according to which unit is involved, and you haven't specified which one(s) you are considering.

In any event, post #3 (by "Glub-glub") indicates that that the St. Jude's Spinal Stim System (Spinal Cord Stimulation for Chronic Pain Media Kit | St. Jude Medical) is good to 90 feet.

What, exactly, do you want us to answer?

Regards,

DocVikingo

PS:

Implantable Electronics System Division (IESD) Neuromodulation Products
St. Jude Medical, Inc.
Neuromodulation Products
6901 Preston Road
Plano, TX 75024

Toll-free Number 800.727.7846, option 3
Phone Number 972.309.8000, option 3
Email nmdtechnicalsupport@sjm.com

I have just had the Nevro Spinal Stimulator implanted and it is rated to 35 meters. This is the main reason i chose this model.

What does this spinal cord stimulator actually do for you and what is it the profilactic for?

Back
Top Bottom