Spiegel Grove Cleared to Dive July 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is so cool I still can't really believe it.
I'll see you guys Saturday.

Today the dive operators got a chance to dive the Spiegel Grove and check it out before they open it tomorrow. Myself and some of my crew took a trip up that way this morning and all I can say is WHY KEWL. It now has 8 mooring balls on it in the following configuration.
#1 Aft Port at 98'
#2 Aft Starboard at 101'
#3 Starboard side of the helicopter landing pad at 92'
#4 Aft Crane port side at 67'
#5 Forward Crane starboard side at 62'
#6 Just aft of the Wheel house at 62'
#7 Forward of the Wheel house on starboard side at 72'
#8 Bow of the ship at 89'

We moored to #6 and when all the way back to the helicopter pad then forward to the upper 3 decks from the Wheel house down. There was a small bit of current, but enough structure enabled us to get out of the current and enjoy a lot of easy swim throughs. It was also neat seeing the clean painted metal on the starboard side. It's been in the sand for 3 years and nothing has had a chance to grow on it, that is till now.

It's a great dive now, I hope you get a chance to go dive it soon. I know I can't wait till my next trip.

Good Diving,
Capt Gary

My wife and I are diving it on Saturday as well. Woohoo.... our first time! :D

Thanks for the great reports, Gary. Now I've just GOT to get down there!!!

And Cudos to all of the Sanctuary and other officials who moved so quickly to get the dive site up and operational. Great job!

Now all we need are some new photos...

Safe ascents to all,
Grier

We'll be there tomorrow morning bright and early. I've dived it 4 or 5 times before but I can't wait to see what it looks like now.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom