SPGs & dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My computers can have the units of measures adjustable between Imperial and Metric.
I'm permanently switched over to metric even diving home back here SoCal; even sold my old Uwatec bottom timer in imperial US units, and bought a new one in Metric along with a bar unit SPG. . .

Now, all of that said, the wife is buying me a ZOOP for my birthday... nice little computer, should do me famously for a while... but with my new reg rig, I'm wondering what the most economical SPG set up is that you would recommend (and I'll be purchasing it with METRIC over English measurements)...

That said, how have you adjusted to diving with people using a different measuring system?

The most economical setup would be a simple SPG without boot on a short HP hose (22" - 26", er 55cm - 66cm) with a stainless steel bolt snap attached so you can clip it off to your right hip D-ring. This, of course, is assuming that's the way you dive. You can look here-> Submersible Pressure Gauges (SPGs) and Instrument Consoles - Dive Gear Express for both imperial and metric, and the white faced SPGs are $10 (7 euros) cheaper than the black faced SPGs.

Final note... Keep the wife.

Some good advice above but to be a bit more general - if all you need is an SPG then you can buy pretty much anything - single analogue gauge with hose is all that's required. Enclosed on not, that's up to you and personal preference and / or expense. You can buy a good SPG from any of the big name brands for around 75 US Dollars, no worries. There's always a way to clip something somewhere!

I've taught in both metric and imperial and have a lot of experience dealing with divers of both flavours - for me the most important thing has always been making sure that the important numbers are agreed upon before commencing a dive. Assuming we're talking basic recreational diving here then half a tank is half a tank, and low on air is low on air, so when you hit half way then it's time to turn around (or ascend to shallower depths or whatever), and when you hit the red zone, it's time to make your safety stop. for conversion, 3/2 + 0 is fine, or multiply / divide by (approximately) 15: 200 bar = 3000 psi, 100 = 1,500, 50 = 750, following general recreational guidelines as to the most important way-points of your air supply. Also it's important that if you're diving with a mixed metric/imperial group that other air signals are understood before jumping - I've seen a lot of variations with the imperial system but I've always defaulted to "thousands on the arm, hundreds on the hand" - so therefore signalling 2,400 psi would be two fingers held against the upper arm, followed by 4 fingers held out in front. It varies.

For depth - similar methodology - get the important numbers fixed. 12m = 40 feet; 18m = 60ft, 30m = 100ft. Again, assuming basic recreational diving then multiplying by 3 to convert metres to feet is easiest - if not exact - but assuming you're not pushing limits anywhere, it's easiest to convert and communicate between buddies - whilst, of course, paying attention to your own exact depths and air supply! :)

Cheers

Crowley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom