SPGs & dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so some days I am a little slow on the uptake, but during my OW training, I kept wondering how I was using a 'back up' computer when all I had was a Suutoo on my wrist... silly me, I call things different names (and FYI, so do people from Europe who train yankees)... so my SPG was considered primary equipment along with my dive computer, not a separate analog computer.

Now, all of that said, the wife is buying me a ZOOP for my birthday... nice little computer, should do me famously for a while... but with my new reg rig, I'm wondering what the most economical SPG set up is that you would recommend (and I'll be purchasing it with METRIC over English measurements)...

That said, how have you adjusted to diving with people using a different measuring system?

Take a look at some of the naked glass spg's with hp hose. Depending on brand, you can pick those up for $80-120. I like the Dive Rite spg. Works great and easy to stow, regardless of your setup.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

U can find HOG brand SPGs for a reasonable price. Usually u would also have to buy a high pressure hose. Look at HOG for most of your equipment needs, they are very economical.

I dive with just a round brass spg on an HP hose and clip it off. I started off with an integrated spg, depth gauge and compass type console but really found it was limited in many ways. I also played around with a wireless air integrated computer, but had a lot of problems with pairing. So now I have my separate spg, a compass on an extendable bungee so I can hold it in whatever position works best at the time, and a wrist mounted computer for depth and bottom time.

I always have my watch, and my DSMB line is marked off in metres, so if my computer fails (depth and time gauge) I can time safety stops with my watch, and put up the DSMB line to tell me how deep I am to hold my stop, if the spg fails, dive is over and I am going up in any event on the computer, so I consider this gives me enough redundancy in normal (non-technical) diving and a back up plan in the event of failure. - dive safe - Phil.

I like to computerize my ascents, especially the last 15 ft (3 meters). On my console I have gas pressure, depth, and a compass. On my left arm I started with one wrist computer. I now dive with two wrist computers (One aeris and one zoop).

I have dove with metric folks a few times and even rented metric gear a few times. Mine is all standard imperial. Just have to remember a couple factors. Meter = 3 ft plus, and BAR/ psi. Does not have to be exact.

No problems.

I have a setup similar to Steve's: my console has the SPG, depth gauge, and compass. I've learned that I don't like having the compass on the console, because it makes the console bigger, and it's difficult to hold the whole console in front of me to use the compass properly. I would recommend getting a separate diving compass on a bungee or retractor attachment, so you can hold the compass correctly. Then you can just have the SPG and depth gauge on the console. If the console doesn't have a compass on it, you can also put the console on a shorter hose and clip it to the left side of your BCD, so it doesn't dangle. Then you just turn it a little to read it.

The depth gauge is a backup for your computer, so it's not actually required if you have a computer. If you have a depth and time backup, though, a dead computer doesn't mean the end of a diving day. For a backup timer, you can wear a cheap waterproof (to 100 meters) watch like the Timex Ironman ($30 LeftLane Sports). Just remember to check the time when you start and end each dive, and write it down on your slate with the maximum depth. Then if your computer dies, you can use the dive tables to finish your dives.

Okay, so some days I am a little slow on the uptake, but during my OW training, I kept wondering how I was using a 'back up' computer when all I had was a Suutoo on my wrist... silly me, I call things different names (and FYI, so do people from Europe who train yankees)... so my SPG was considered primary equipment along with my dive computer, not a separate analog computer.

Now, all of that said, the wife is buying me a ZOOP for my birthday... nice little computer, should do me famously for a while... but with my new reg rig, I'm wondering what the most economical SPG set up is that you would recommend (and I'll be purchasing it with METRIC over English measurements)...

That said, how have you adjusted to diving with people using a different measuring system?
Dual units SPG: SCUBAPRO - DUAL PRESSURE GAUGE

(I prefer the gauge "naked" without the enclosing boot)

Quick conversions:
Bar-->PSI, multiply by 3/2 and append a zero,
Example: 200(3/2) equals 300, append a zero (actually multiply by ten) -->3000psi

Meters-->Feet, multiply by 10/3
Example: 12m(10/3) equals 40feet.

On Dive Tables, your cardinal reference numbers for depth in Metric goes by intervals of 3 meters:
3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24, 27, 30 etc.

For US Imperial Units, it goes by intervals of 10 feet:
10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc.

Hence the quick 10/3 or 3/10 conversion factor between meters to feet & feet to meters. . .

Although I'm comfortable w/both systems, ( But wish this country would go completely metric...So much better system, simple 'base' 10, just like our currency !! ) I have family in the EU that comes here to dive caves....I use the OMS dual system SPG's and wear two identical computers, one set to metric, the other to imperial......Takes care of the problem.........

U can find HOG brand SPGs for a reasonable price. Usually u would also have to buy a high pressure hose. Look at HOG for most of your equipment needs, they are very economical.

+1 for Hog gear. I have 4 of their SPGs. Good value, very well made.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom