SPG spool o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keith.M

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When setting up a new SPG, should the o-rings be removed and lubed or just lubed in place how the spool was shipped?

It would seem to me that there is no need to remove it as the lube is primarily there to allow the SPG to swivel around the spool o-ring and the o-ring remains static on the spool.

just lube in place, no need to remove, you'll likely damage the O-ring trying to take it off, so it isn't worth it.

OK, that was my thought as well. Thanks!

I routinely find my SPG stiff to turn, so I remove the spool and lube them on the outside so to speak and put it back together. I only remove the o-rings for replacement.

..snip..
It would seem to me that there is no need to remove it as the lube is primarily there to allow the SPG to swivel around the spool o-ring and the o-ring remains static on the spool.

Just curious how you know that the SPG moves in relation to the spool o-ring. Given that there is less contact area between the o-ring and the spool, if both surfaces are lubricated I'd say there's just as much, if not more, chance of the o-ring rotating on the spool. :D

If you took the trouble to take out the spool why not just replace the o-rings? Preferably with Viton ones.

As stated in the original post... It is a new spg. The spool comes in a little plastic bag in the box that the spg is in.

The O-ring moves in the groove when pressure is applied so lubricant will be forced between the spool and O-ring. The width of the groove is a little exaggerated to illustrate the principal. This illustration is from the Parker O-ring Design Manual.

Attachments

• Parker O-ring Manual.jpg
    Parker O-ring Manual.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 435
[ QUOTE=buddhasummer;7194475]At .75c a complete spool I don't play with the O rings. When I install a new spool I lube the stem between the two O rings.[/QUOTE]

Or $8 locally.....yes, $8.....crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom