SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
What if you have a stuck inflator?

Using this method, you have just made it tougher to quickly pinch the low pressure inflator hose and stop the runaway inflation until you can either disconnect the hose or turn off a post if wearing doubles.

I find that a greater risk.

How does it make it harder to disconnect the inflator hose? Are you suggesting actually trying to pinch off the inflator hose itself? I've never heard of that. Why would I do that instead of simply disconnecting the hose? The latter is faster and total, and then frees a hand.

It's take just a second, two at most, to disconnect the hose with one hand. Obvisouly, the SPG has to be rigged so that it is not in the way of the connection, but that's easy.

Dan Gibson:
What if you have a stuck inflator?

Using this method, you have just made it tougher to quickly pinch the low pressure inflator hose and stop the runaway inflation until you can either disconnect the hose or turn off a post if wearing doubles.

I find that a greater risk.

Possible.

But, I want that SPG in my face at all times, and it is NOT tightly bungeed to the inflater hose. Also, I'll bet that you've found yourself in a tight enough space where you could not physically reach down with your left hand, unhook the SPG, and bring it up to your face, I have. But, as it were, when diving with a team in in cave/overhead, I attach to the left waist D-ring to stay uniform...

Xanthro:
How does it make it harder to disconnect the inflator hose? Are you suggesting actually trying to pinch off the inflator hose itself? I've never heard of that. Why would I do that instead of simply disconnecting the hose? The latter is faster and total, and then frees a hand.

It's take just a second, two at most, to disconnect the hose with one hand. Obvisouly, the SPG has to be rigged so that it is not in the way of the connection, but that's easy.

You obviously don't dive in cold water.

Last time I had a freeflow, that connector was a solid block of ice.

daniel f aleman:
Possible.

But, I want that SPG in my face at all times, and it is NOT tightly bungeed to the inflater hose. Also, I'll bet that you've found yourself in a tight enough space where you could not physically reach down with your left hand, unhook the SPG, and bring it up to your face, I have. But, as it were, when diving with a team in in cave/overhead, I attach to the left waist D-ring to stay uniform...

Since the SPG is just a backup device, I don't want it in my face all the time. If I am in a space so tight I can't look at it, then I damn well better know what I have going into it.

1/2 though a restriction is not the time to wonder if your close to your turn or not.

daniel f aleman:
But, I want that SPG in my face at all times,

Why? If you're trained enough to dive overheads/caves, you should be able to figure out your remaining gas to within 100psi at all times without looking. If you can't do that, stay out of overheads.

Your SPG becomes an item of interest if something like your reg or valve go tits up, but of course, at that time, the dive is over and you're getting the heck out of Dodge.

JimC:
Last time I had a freeflow, that connector was a solid block of ice.

If that is the case then having the spg there will make no issue at all.....you will have a hard to removing it no matter what - with the spg there or not.

tektom:
Why? If you're trained enough to dive overheads/caves, you should be able to figure out your remaining gas to within 100psi at all times without looking. If you can't do that, stay out of overheads.

I don't use the SPG to figure out my remaining gas - I look at my SPG to see if I have gas. Know what I mean?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom