SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
I have had my SPG clipped to the hid d-ring for a few dives with stages and found it to be more then a hassle to get to it, granted it doesn't get looked at much since I am aware of the gas consumption, but I do make a conscious effort to clip and un-clip once in a while to practice.....whenever I had stages there I had the hardest time, with thick gloves and multiple clips there for the tanks and spg.

Then I took that spg, and clipped it to my chest d-ring, now it's just a matter of looking down and seeing the pressure if I want to, and clipping and un-clipping stages in longer an issue.

Also, why not keep a high pressure device that can end your dive for good if busted out of harms way.....take that SPG off the waist d-ring and clip it to where it makes more sense, no-one ever said that the only location for it is on your waist. After all we are all diving for our own and think for our own right? You do what works for you and not what works some other guy.

Also to help with the shoulder d-ring congestion, I have added a second d-ring to both sides of my harness for misc clips.....and you know what, it works like a charm.

I've tried it both ways too and I found that that clutter bugged me, so I keep it out of the way. You must be less sensitive to the clutter than I am and I certainly don't have an issue with you find your own way for this. There's clearly more than one way to skin this cat. I think the point being made by JimC was just about the feeling of clutter, not so much what's "right" and "wrong". I think with SPG placement most the arguments about right and wrong are pretty pointless except in certain specific contexts.

BTW, the spg can be kept from being damaged by the stages if you clip it off right on the bottom of the D ring ("under" all the clips for the stages) and don't attach the bolt-snap right beside the meter.

But now we're drifting quite a way from the question Xanthro was asking.

R..

Great discussion. It's always useful to get the opinions of others who have tried a gear layout.

Gave me plenty to think about.

I'd just like to thank everyone on this thread. It's a question I've had, and sometimes gear questions can lead to some strange remarks. Everyone extremely helpful.

I hadn't thought much about not checking the SPG nearly as often. While I can guess my pressure to within 100 psi nearly everytime, I'm just used to checking it every 10 minutes or so.

Agains, thanks everyone!!

Diver0001:
I've tried it both ways too and I found that that clutter bugged me, so I keep it out of the way. You must be less sensitive to the clutter than I am and I certainly don't have an issue with you find your own way for this. There's clearly more than one way to skin this cat. I think the point being made by JimC was just about the feeling of clutter, not so much what's "right" and "wrong". I think with SPG placement most the arguments about right and wrong are pretty pointless except in certain specific contexts.

BTW, the spg can be kept from being damaged by the stages if you clip it off right on the bottom of the D ring ("under" all the clips for the stages) and don't attach the bolt-snap right beside the meter.

But now we're drifting quite a way from the question Xanthro was asking.

R..

What clutter? I have a short(er) inflator with the ScubaPro inflator and small 1.5" SPG, there is no clutter there what so ever....it flows with the inflator, doesn't stick out any more then normal.

I'm trying to imagine how you plan on attaching it, but it seems like it would become your lowest point if clipped off there (since you are always horizontal in the water). Wouldn't it be better to clip it off on the left hip and clean your front profile a bit?
Again, I may not be imagining this placement how you intend to do it so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Jason B:
I'm trying to imagine how you plan on attaching it, but it seems like it would become your lowest point if clipped off there (since you are always horizontal in the water). Wouldn't it be better to clip it off on the left hip and clean your front profile a bit?
Again, I may not be imagining this placement how you intend to do it so take what I say with a grain of salt.

It doesn't stick lower then your inflator would to begin with.

Imagine this......shortened inflator that goes maybe an inch or two below your shoulder d-ring that is held to the harness with either a bungee or a hose guard, the HP is a short 21"-22" to the tip of the small 1.5" SPG.

As I said "It doesn't stick lower then your inflator would to begin with."

Tamas:
It doesn't stick lower then your inflator would to begin with.

Imagine this......shortened inflator that goes maybe an inch or two below your shoulder d-ring that is held to the harness with either a bungee or a hose guard, the HP is a short 21"-22" to the tip of the small 1.5" SPG.

As I said "It doesn't stick lower then your inflator would to begin with."

That's exactly how I imagined it placing it, so it isn't any longer than the inflator. Plus, my SPG is pretty small as well, around 1.5 inches. I also have a short inflator hose. My concern was these older eyes being able to read the gauge with perscription lens. That said, I only really need to be able to see the needle, I know where the number are, and I'm not that blind.

How do you attach yours? Slip them under bands around the inflator or small bungiess or velco? It appears there are a number of methods to tie it.

Xanthro:
How do you attach yours? Slip them under bands around the inflator or small bungiess or velco? It appears there are a number of methods to tie it.

Velcro or bungies or even bicycle inner tube (but those snap and break easy)

Xanthro:
Thanks JimC and Diver0001. I thought about the might be hard to read because it's so close, that was the only drawback I could think of.

How exactly does it interfer with stage bottles? Just added bulk above them? I'm curious because I figured this would be a less interference because they are not sharing the hip D ring and that reading your pressure with stage bottles would be harder, that you'd always have to unclip, and there would be the slight possibility of accidently unclipping a stage bottle.

I understand and shared your concern. My solution was a 2nd D-ring om the left hip. One back close to the plate gets my pony on a small snap and the strap of my DSMB on a large snap. My SPG snaps to the 2nd D-ring at the front of my hip where, on days when I am more flexible, I can usually read it without unsnapping. My left chest is already cluttered enough with the inflator on a short hose (I retired my Air2 to reduce the clutter there) and my pony.

FWIW, I keep my SPG on the left chest D-ring and, even with stages, don't generally find the clutter too bad. I can even see the guage without having to unclip it.

It sticks out the teensiest of teensy bits but not so much that it would cause a problem.

If I clip it off to the left hip then I find myself fumbling around outside of my sight zone trying to clip / unclip it.

My spg goes on my left chest ring to the outside. Route it under my arm on a 24" hose. The only other things I clip there are back up light (2nd clip) with light bungied under arm as well, stage bottle (3rd clip, closest to center) and line markers when getting ready to use them (become closest to center at that point). I can look down and see the spg without touching it and it doesn't add any clutter for me. Everything just tucks into place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom