SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
What are the downsides to attaching the SPG to the inflator hose?

Try it in a pool or other low-threat body of water first.
Ye dinna want to learn the hard way that a downside is you can't read it, or use the inflator, etc.

Green_Manelishi:
Try it in a pool or other low-threat body of water first.
Ye dinna want to learn the hard way that a downside is you can't read it, or use the inflator, etc.

That wouldn't be an issue, as I test all the gear layout above water, and any major gear changes are checked out on easy dives.

I'm weird, I practice putting my gear on and off in a pitch black room.

That, and I like to juggle soft weights and shadow box with 5lbs weights in each hand. Juggling is far harder.

Xanthro:
as I test all the gear layout above water
What relevance does that have for scubadiving?

I always wear my SPG on the inflater hose, like this; I want it in constant view, and I don't want to risk it being crushed next to my body down there with the tanks.

Xanthro:
That wouldn't be an issue, as I test all the gear layout above water, and any major gear changes are checked out on easy dives.

I'm weird, I practice putting my gear on and off in a pitch black room.

That, and I like to juggle soft weights and shadow box with 5lbs weights in each hand. Juggling is far harder.

Well, you might be weird or not but ...

With all due respect testing it out above water, unless you are standing up on the bottom, in a pitch black room or otherwise, is not the same as in the water and more-or-less horizontal. All changes, major or not, should be tested in shallow, protected, water and carrying all of your gear (including exposure protection) so you know "the system" still works. And while I am standing on the soapbox, one should never change more than one piece of gear at a time; problems can multiply exponentially when too many new variables are inserted into the equation.

JeffG:
What relevance does that have for scubadiving?

Allows me to practice gear layout attachment and exits before I'm in the water. Once I have everything down blind above water, I move into shallow water.

I don't have to see to put any gear on, and practice allows me to don gear faster than most.

Green_Manelishi:
Well, you might be weird or not but ...

With all due respect testing it out above water, unless you are standing up on the bottom, in a pitch black room or otherwise, is not the same as in the water and more-or-less horizontal. All changes, major or not, should be tested in shallow, protected, water and carrying all of your gear (including exposure protection) so you know "the system" still works. And while I am standing on the soapbox, one should never change more than one piece of gear at a time; problems can multiply exponentially when too many new variables are inserted into the equation.

Perhaps our definition of major change is different. If I move my shears from right hip to the front, I'm not going to do a dive just to check the difference. If I'm moving my SPG, I'll start with an easy dive.

To me any major change involves gear needed for bouyancy and safety. Moving my SPG barely falls into that category, because I rarely really need to check it.

Also, I find very few differences in accessing my gear while vertical, horizontal or upside down. It's one of the reasons I have everything clipped close to the body, so that their position does not shift much. I spend a good deal of time underwater upside down peering over ledges, so I don't want my gear hanging down over my face.

What if you have a stuck inflator?

Using this method, you have just made it tougher to quickly pinch the low pressure inflator hose and stop the runaway inflation until you can either disconnect the hose or turn off a post if wearing doubles.

I find that a greater risk.

daniel f aleman:
I always wear my SPG on the inflater hose, like this; I want it in constant view, and I don't want to risk it being crushed next to my body down there with the tanks.

Dan Gibson:
What if you have a stuck inflator?

Using this method, you have just made it tougher to quickly pinch the low pressure inflator hose and stop the runaway inflation until you can either disconnect the hose or turn off a post if wearing doubles.

I find that a greater risk.

How so? The two hoses are on opposite sides of the inflator. Care to explain?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom