SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You mean kink the low pressure inflator hose, the corrugated hose just go along for the ride.

JeffG:
No...he is only talking about 1 failure. Stuck open inflater hose. One solution to stop the air flow is to kink the corrugated hose, which would be hard to do with a HP hose linked to it.

It's not about two failures. It's about the quickest way to shut down inflation.

Try it out sometime. Low pressure hoses are easy to stop the flow by pinching them. There is not faster way to stop the flow. It give you time to either shut down a post on doubles or disconnect the inflator on a single tank rig.

The HP hose just makes it slower when it's all tied together as shown in the link from one of the earlier posts. It makes it darn near impossible if you have one of the really tough SP HP hoses unless you separate it from the other.

Xanthro:
Honestly, I would not have expected pinching the hose to be all that successful, but now we are talking about having two major malfunctions at the same time, inflator stuck open and connection stuck. I don't dive under ice or in 30 degree water, so either occuring becomes uncommon, both would be damn near impossible, in what I dive in.

Dan Gibson:
You mean kink the low pressure inflator hose, the corrugated hose just go along for the ride.
Oops...Yea, My memory was a bit foggy about it, we haven't tried it lately. We tried that method when GI was ranting a while back, but we went back to pulling the rear dump valve and shutting down the right post as the first response.

How so?

I didn't say the SPG was completely useless. It's just not as critical to access it immediately. I don't put my self in a tight situations prior to knowing I have the gas to get make it through.

I can tell when I am experiencing a loss of gas. I don't need an SPG to say I'm suddenly losing or have lost gas. The sound of gas escaping alone lets me know something is up. And if I'm totally clueless that it's going on (not sure how that would happen), then my buddy is there to clue me in.

daniel f aleman:
Well then, you've pretty much negated any real-world SPG use for recreational diving. For me, the SPG is my emergency notifier of any critical loss of gas, especially at depth.

Tamas, thank you for taking everything I said out of context, destroying an attempt to bring this discussion back on track in a nonflamitory manner and not bothering to read my previous posts.

JeffG:
No...he is only talking about 1 failure. Stuck open inflater hose. One solution to stop the air flow is to kink the corrugated hose, which would be hard to do with a HP hose linked to it.

Ok, kinking the corrugated hose makes more sense. I thought he meant the lp inflator hose being kinked.

Now, kinking the corrugated hose shouldn't be that hard unless you really tied the SPG way too tightly and in too many places.

But still, wouldn't it be better to simply disconnect the inflator rather than kink the corrugated hose? It seems to me that it would be faster, and then frees up a hand.

I'll certainly take into account the ability to kink the corrugated hose if I attached the SPG next to it.

That's why I asked this question, to benefit from the expertize of others.

We tested the pinching of low pressure hose in cave class. During an air share, the long hose ended up with a small loop when we went single file with light out. After the dive, the instructor gave us a good chewing out. He then told my buddy to breath off the long hose and pinched it off for him. It never happened again after that.

JeffG:
Oops...Yea, My memory was a bit foggy about it, we haven't tried it lately. We tried that method when GI was ranting a while back, but we went back to pulling the rear dump valve and shutting down the right post as the first response.

No, kink the low pressure inflator hose.

Xanthro:
Ok, kinking the corrugated hose makes more sense. I thought he meant the lp inflator hose being kinked.

Now, kinking the corrugated hose shouldn't be that hard unless you really tied the SPG way too tightly and in too many places.

But still, wouldn't it be better to simply disconnect the inflator rather than kink the corrugated hose? It seems to me that it would be faster, and then frees up a hand.

I'll certainly take into account the ability to kink the corrugated hose if I attached the SPG next to it.

That's why I asked this question, to benefit from the expertize of others.

JimC:
Tamas, thank you for taking everything I said out of context, destroying an attempt to bring this discussion back on track in a nonflamitory manner and not bothering to read my previous posts.

I am afraid I did no such thing. I simply corrected you on your mistakes and clarified the wrongfully presented information so that others might learn from the posts.

Dan Gibson:
We tested the pinching of low pressure hose in cave class. During an air share, the long hose ended up with a small loop when we went single file with light out. After the dive, the instructor gave us a good chewing out. He then told my buddy to breath off the long hose and pinched it off for him. It never happened again after that.
Maybe I will revisit this, maybe we were DIW the first time (or it could of been the interference of the drygloves...hmmmmmmmm)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom