SPG hose too short?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fasorud

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi DIR people :)

I have a 24" SPG hose on my doubles rig, and it seems to me that it is too short, although of course I could be wrong :) . If I unclip it, it barely comes around so I that I can see it, and if I look back and away I can't see it. Is it too short?

I know the 24" is pretty much the standard length, but I am not sure if it works for me. It could also be that I have my bands a little lower than standard, as that is the only way I can reach them. That ofcourse moves the first stage up which would "shorten" the available length of hose I have.

Ideas?

I have attached a pic where u can kinda see where the SPG is at.

PS - don't comment on the Mares fins :) I am working on rectifying the situation :D

Looks like it might be a hair short just looking at the pic, but as long as you can use it without issue I wouldn't worry about it.

It might be good to see a picture of the hose routing up at the regs for some further analysis.

How you deploy it makes a difference. Don't try and read it under your arm. If you pull it out and over your elbow to read it and you might find it is sufficient length. If not, then maybe the 26" is in order.

fasorud:
Hi DIR people :)

I have a 24" SPG hose on my doubles rig, and it seems to me that it is too short, although of course I could be wrong :) . If I unclip it, it barely comes around so I that I can see it, and if I look back and away I can't see it. Is it too short?

I know the 24" is pretty much the standard length, but I am not sure if it works for me. It could also be that I have my bands a little lower than standard, as that is the only way I can reach them. That ofcourse moves the first stage up which would "shorten" the available length of hose I have.

Ideas?

I have attached a pic where u can kinda see where the SPG is at.

PS - don't comment on the Mares fins :) I am working on rectifying the situation :D

pants!:
Looks like it might be a hair short just looking at the pic, but as long as you can use it without issue I wouldn't worry about it.

It might be good to see a picture of the hose routing up at the regs for some further analysis.

I am using DS4's configured in the "standard" way. To get an idea you can go to
http://www.dis-uk.org/gallery.htm
and look at the doubles setup using DS4s. I don't have a pic of my setup but it looks exactly the same as that.

I really think its a non-issue. You'll find that after twenty dives or so you'll not be thinking about it. FWIW, I use the 24", and don't ever swing it out over my elbow - just unclip, move my hand/arm forward about even with my left chest D-ring, glance down, and replace the SPG. Quick and easy.

Use whatever works for you but remember that most things take getting used to, and you shouldn't need to reference the SPG more than 2 or 3 times a dive anyway. (If you do, thats another issue to be dealt with separately...)

Regards,

Doc

You just need to get use to it some more. I have no issues accessing and reading it. Sometimes the bolt snap can be in a slight twist at the begining of my dive, so I always unclip and reclip soon as I descend...after that, no problemo!

Doc Intrepid:
I really think its a non-issue. You'll find that after twenty dives or so you'll not be thinking about it. FWIW, I use the 24", and don't ever swing it out over my elbow - just unclip, move my hand/arm forward about even with my left chest D-ring, glance down, and replace the SPG. Quick and easy.

Use whatever works for you but remember that most things take getting used to, and you shouldn't need to reference the SPG more than 2 or 3 times a dive anyway. (If you do, thats another issue to be dealt with separately...)

Regards,

Doc
2 times a dive?

Maybe if your run time is 15 minutes..

Those bands look pretty low, come to think of it..

pants!:
Those bands look pretty low, come to think of it..

It's the only way I can reach the valves :(

"need to reference the SPG more than 2 or 3 times a dive anyway. (If you do, thats another issue to be dealt with separately...)"

Wow, I look at mine all the time. When I was a young fireman doing drills in SCBAs, the Captain running the drill would ask how much air I had left and if I could not tell him, he would kick my a@@. Old habits die hard, I look at mine every couple of minutes.
\
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom