SPG hose O ring keeps blowing out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mindrive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have this continuing problem with the O ring on my SPG hose that connects to the first stage. This is the third time in two weeks this particular O ring has blown out while putting my kit together. It happens when I open my tank valve and I'm wondering what would keep causing this? Each time I replaced it with a new one and was careful during the install. When it blows it gets squished out of the body of the first stage.

Any have any idea's?

Wrong Oring. It shouldn’t be tight so that it’s stretched in it’s seated position or too loose that there’s slop.

If that’s not the issue, try putting some cristolube on it so it slides right in when you tighten it. :)

I had one HP hose that was fussy like that. I can't remember which it was, but I either went up one size or down one size on the o-ring and the problem was solved. I always lube the O-ring first and smear a thin film of silicone grease on the o-ring before attaching it to the first stage and that almost always does it, and make sure the sealing surfaces are clean.

Hopefully it won't pop again but I'll double check the size and ensure it's lubed next time. Appreciate the quick responses!

Have you had this same regulator for a while and only began experiencing problems recently?
Same question for the hose.
The o-ring should be a -011 duro 85-90

@couv hit the nail on the head:
If a high pressure o-ring is oozing out of position, it is most likely too soft.
Try a 2-011 duro 90. Bet you'll be fine.

Wrong durometer would be my first idea, like others have said, it should be a 90. That said, I have seen several other less common problems. I have seen a hose that had a threaded section that was a tiny bit too long ........or the HP port was not deep enough depending on how you want to think about it. When you screw in the hose, the metal of the hex portion should meet the first stage and completely close the gap. This hose would leave a tiny gap when fully installed, it had to be replaced (or modified). Another possibility is the hose end is slightly bent due to falling. This may have not shown up until you removed the hose for the first time after the damage occured. Install the hose hand tight then look carefully at the hose end to first stage interface, it should be even with an even metal to metal contact all the way around. If there is a gap anywhere around the interface, it will not seal properly. I would also suggest you install the proper oring, pressurize it and note where on the first stage and hose the extrusion occurs, mark the spots with a sharpie, remove and reinstall the hose and try again to see if it the extrusion happens at the same place. If it does, there is some damage to the hose or first stage at that spot. Finally, when you have the hose off, look at the port, it should be round, smooth and even, no dips, nicks or out of round. Odds are it's the wrong durometer but other damage can cause the problems.

Have you had this same regulator for a while and only began experiencing problems recently?
Same question for the hose.
The o-ring should be a -011 duro 85-90
Had it about 6 months now, have roughly 20 dives on this particular set purchased new. I'm going to roll with using the 90 duro hardness because im sure these are the soft ones.

Wrong durometer would be my first idea, like others have said, it should be a 90. That said, I have seen several other less common problems. I have seen a hose that had a threaded section that was a tiny bit too long ........or the HP post was not deep enough depending on how you want to think about it. When you screw in the hose, the metal of the hex portion should meet the first stage and completely close the gap. This hose would leave a tiny gap when fully installed, it had to be replaced (or modified). Another possibility is the hose end is slightly bent due to falling. This may have not shown up until you removed the hose for the first time after the damage occured. Install the hose hand tight then look carefully at the hose end to first stage interface, it should be even with an even metal to metal contact all the way around. If there is a gap anywhere around the interface, it will not seal properly. I would also suggest you install the proper oring, pressurize it and note where on the first stage and hose the extrusion occurs, mark the spots with a sharpie, remove and reinstall the hose and try again to see if it the extrusion happens at the same place. If it does, there is some damage to the hose or first stage at that spot. Finally, when you have the hose off, look at the port, it should be round, smooth and even, no dips, nicks or out of round. Odds are it's the wrong durometer but other damage can cause the problems.
I double check for damage, it's entirely possible but I'm hoping for the wrong hardness on the o ring.

@couv hit the nail on the head:
If a high pressure o-ring is oozing out of position, it is most likely too soft.
Try a 2-011 duro 90. Bet you'll be fine.
Is it an 011 or 012? oringusa and scubadoctor both call for a 012 in a duro 90, just trying to get final confirmation before I purchase a boatload of these.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom