Survey - SPG Usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What year and why did you begin using an SPG?

SDM

1973.... Steel 72 with a aqua master.. No place to put one.. Then got a single hose 109 for my pony but still no SPG because of the money... I think it was like 1978 or so when I got my first one... Never used a BC for many years.. Just a co2 life vest for a emergency...

Jim..

Hi Sam,

You know as well as I do we didn't have them ( SPG ) back in 1959.
When they did come along I hooked up to one and still use one today.

Bill
dead dog

Began in '62 with a J valve.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When did you become aware of a SPG ?

When did you personally begin using an SPG ? Year and why did you begin using it?

sdm

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 07:25 PM ----------

1973.... Steel 72 with a aqua master.. No place to put one.. Then got a single hose 109 for my pony but still no SPG because of the money... I think it was like 1978 or so when I got my first one... Never used a BC for many years.. Just a co2 life vest for a emergency...

Jim..

Think about your answer... are you certain there was "No place to put one" Or do you mean attach and SPG? Think again about your response and the equipment of that era-- USD, FW Voit, AMF Voit. Healthways, Sportswayas Dacor etc

SDM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When did you become aware of a SPG ?

When did you personally begin using an SPG ? Year and why did you begin using it?

sdm

---------- Post added March 15th, 2015 at 07:25 PM ----------

Think about your answer... are you certain there was "No place to put one" Or do you mean attach and SPG? Think again about your response and the equipment of that era-- USD, FW Voit, AMF Voit. Healthways, Sportswayas Dacor etc

SDM

No... The auqa master. They did make a bango fitting if you had the money and put a longer yoke on... I guess you could have pulled the burst disc out and add a port for the SPG.. But why ? I never had a "big" problem with a j valve..
And they were not cheap..
Jim....
And to add... I was 12 when I start diving and it was solo with a yard sale tank and aqua master... I would mow lawns for money... The first thing was a 7mm shark skin wetsuit to buy ... I had little money to waste on stuff I didn't need... And yes I had a mother and father that I drove crazy...

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Merged three threads into one

This doesn't help, I think Sam was trying to get to as many divers as he could by posting in as many groups as he did. I replied in the Vintage Divers Group. I have no idea where it is now, so I can't follow it now.

Bill
dead dog

Hi Sam,

I was certified by the LACUU in 1970. I dived with a J valve, without a SPG, until I bought my first equipment in 1972. I bought a Scubapro Mk5/109 with a SPG and a LP hose to inflate my buoyancy vest (not quite a BC as the harness and small back plate were separate). I was aware of SPGs before I bought one but my rental gear never included a SPG. I thought it better to know how much air I had rather than relying on the J valve. I dived quite a bit in kelp and used to periodically check to make sure my J valve was still up,

Today, I dive a hoseless AI primary, but, have a backup computer and SPG, just in case. Good luck with your talk.

Good diving, Craig

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Merged three threads into one

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Burrito,

Ohi yo Kazamouis ( I can speak some Japanese but can't spell it correctly)

"Burrito" Interesting name for a Japanese !

I was attempting to obtain a cross section of the awareness and year of,general usage and or adaption of the Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG) by divers in Socal ( southern California) NorCal ( northern California) and the U.S. (United States aka USA.) for a forthcoming presentation "The Intriguing history of the SPG" at the at the Long Beach California SCUBA show .

It would be appropriate to conduct a survey of SoCal, NorCal and US divers. This national survey which has survived is of little interest but does have a certain amount of credence to my survey.

Your decision to eliminate the two most important sources SoCal and NorCal has made this survey useless. Especially SoCal which is where recreational diving began and should be the source of valid information

I would implore you to reestablish the SoCal and the NorCal surveys.

As one who was involved in the establishment of the Divers flag and the first expert with to defend the usage and establish the rights and privileges in a California court of law of a diver displaying a red and white flag, (Toso vs Burns) I would suggest that you might want to display your flag in your avatar correctly and not on it's side.

Should you happen to be in Long Beach California during the SCUBA show I would like to invite you to my second presentation at the show "The short history of the divers flag"

Please do not confuse me with So Sam IV who is a NAUI (Life), PADI Instructor, a Pro 5000 and a board certified ER & Hyperbaric doctor who will also be presenting a program "The effects of implants in divers"

Warmest regards from Sunny California
Dr. SDM 111

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 09:31 AM ----------

Hi Sam,

I was certified by the LACUU in 1970. I dived with a J valve, without a SPG, until I bought my first equipment in 1972. I bought a Scubapro Mk5/109 with a SPG and a LP hose to inflate my buoyancy vest (not quite a BC as the harness and small back plate were separate). I was aware of SPGs before I bought one but my rental gear never included a SPG. I thought it better to know how much air I had rather than relying on the J valve. I dived quite a bit in kelp and used to periodically check to make sure my J valve was still up,

Today, I dive a hoseless AI primary, but, have a backup computer and SPG, just in case. Good luck with your talk.

Good diving, Craig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your response is what I wanted to hear...time and equipment

Son of a gun!

1970! when you were certified PADI had just been established and was contained in a cardboard box in Chicago

You were certified by the first and best program in the world. There was never a civilian program before LA Co and certainly none better than LA Co.

I was some what active in the LA Co program. In 1963 (?) I was awarded the first "Out standing contributions to Underwater instruction." for deigning and developing several unique training exercises and attempting to establish a rating system for Underwater Instructors which was turned down by LA Co, later NAUI but recognized some time later by PADI as a great step marketing diver training to generate funds. One must give John Cronin Credit he was certainly successful in marketing my original concept.

In 1969 I was honored as the "Out standing Underwater Instructor of the year. " Another LA Co first, identifying and honoring those who were active and instrumental in creating a new sport.

My I inquire who was your La Co instructor? Or where was it taught? With your back ground contained in your avatar I suspect USC (fight on!) or UCLA.

Thank you for Good Luck...I have presented the program to professional divers and it was well received I am in the process of revising it for the current crop of recreational divers

SDM

How about that 2 for 1!

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

My LA Co instructor was James Samuels, on my card, his UICC # appears to be 18. My certification is 2616 and was taken out of a shop in Burbank on Magnolia Blvd, I no longer recall the name. I was an undergraduate at UCSD in La Jolla (good diving), and went to medical school in LA at USC.

Not many divers today have ever heard of the LACUU, I'm proud to have been associated. If I would have stayed in California, I would have done my best to have participated in the ADP, now that's an advanced diver.

Warm regards, Craig

Sam - if you're interested I can put together an on-line survey and run it through my "ScubaSurveys" platform which goes out through multiple social media platforms. Doing so will give you data in a way that can be analyzed by age, date, gender, years diving, average dives per year, certification level, diving SINCE then, etc. Pretty much anything you want. Will be a bit more "citable" than text responses on SB.

Not sure when you need the data, but it would take me a few hours to create the instrument and a a few days to a week to collect the data.

Shoot me a PM
An inquiring mind wants to know....

I will presenting a program on the submersible pressure gauge at the SCUBA SHOW... need to do a survey,,,,,

How many veteran divers from So Cal were diving prior to the introduction of the Submersible Pressure Gauge (AKA SPG)?

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom