Spg backup to transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my last post here I had a HP hose rupture on me about 1700’ inside a cave. I had been running spg only.

This incident has pushed me over the edge to go transmitter only. Gauges are gone, swifts are installed.

Since my last post here I had a HP hose rupture on me about 1700’ inside a cave. I had been running spg only.

This incident has pushed me over the edge to go transmitter only. Gauges are gone, swifts are installed.
If you go transmitter, would you then not use a hose at all for the transmitter?

Only asking to know, I have a short hose on the AI a on my doubles set.

Any idea about what may have influenced the HP hose rupture? Such as age, scraping against rocks, hose-type, frequent bending, etc?

As an aside, I often think recreational divers should be encouraged to consider redundant-air-sources. I mean other than depending on your buddy who swam off to look at a fish.

If you go transmitter, would you then not use a hose at all for the transmitter?
No hose is usually the norm for transmitters from what I've seen. You typically screw it directly into the first-stage-HP port.

@SlugMug I have a short hose on mine because I don’t trust people to not lift my set carefully in some circumstances.

Maybe I should remove it but would be annoyed if someone lift it by the AI.

I mean other than depending on your buddy who swam off to look at a fish.

You aren't watching them 100% of your time u/w????? How shameful.

Only asking to know, I have a short hose on the AI a on my doubles set.

I’m not planning on running the extension hose as I’m trying to minimize o rings and failure points.

Any idea about what may have influenced the HP hose rupture? Such as age, scraping against rocks, hose-type, frequent bending, etc?

As an aside, I often think recreational divers should be encouraged to consider redundant-air-sources. I mean other than depending on your buddy who swam off to look at a fish.

No hose is usually the norm for transmitters from what I've seen. You typically screw it directly into the first-stage-HP port.

The hose wasn’t that old, less than 2 years for sure, so I am somewhat confused. I did not see any signs of mechanical damage from rocks or otherwise. I run my SM regs up with SPGs laying down the tank, I do bend them up to read them. I’ve always been leery of sharp bends on hoses and this one ruptured right at the crimp. Is it the cause or a coincidence, I don’t know. Someone else suggested the 4000 psi cave fill probably helped expedite its demise 😉

IMHO in sidemount, particularly cave sidemount, the need to have your transmitter on a short hose to protect it isn't needed as much. As the transmitter is between the body and your tank so it is never exposed to being hit, and being mounted downward it can't be confused with the valve handle.

I use a short HP hose with my rec transmitter for those reasons. But they are hard mounted in sidemount.

IMHO in sidemount, particularly cave sidemount, the need to have your transmitter on a short hose to protect it isn't needed as much. As the transmitter is between the body and your tank so it is never exposed to being hit, and being mounted downward it can't be confused with the valve handle.

I use a short HP hose with my rec transmitter for those reasons. But they are hard mounted in sidemount.
Ah thanks somehow I forgot I was in the SM forum. I should have realised. And it totally makes sense too to not put a hose in a SM kit.

One nice thing about SM is that you have two completely independent systems. So whether you run an SPG or a transmitter, you're already running two anyway. I see no reason to run both an SPG and TX on each tank.

For BM I run both, SPG on left post and transmitter on the right post, but that still adds up to two sources of information.

I'm switching to Shearwater Swift Transmitters only (no spg backups) on my side mount rig. This is for tec dives only. I back mount on recreational dives. So far I've had 2 spg's flood and one 6" spg hose start leaking from me bending it up to read it. This happened on a 145' dive. One of my tec instructors is running transmitters only and has convinced me, given their reliability these days, that backups are not necessary and add failure points. If a transmitter fails I'll call the dive.

Reactions: L13
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom