SPG Air Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not everyone would agree but I would use a diluted vinager soak as well for about 5 minutes. I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner.

AWAP, never seen someone recommend putting the whole SPG in the ultrasonic....

Hose out is easy, put the console in hot water, put some dawn dish soap on the end of the hose and a bit on the connection and pull it right through. Hose in is a bit more complicated but a bit of dawn on the inside of the console and push the regulator side of the hose through first and it should go in. Trying to go the opposite way is damn near impossible in my experience.

I did not say "whole" but I suspect it would not hurt anything. Just the end, just like the soaking baths. You do want to tilt it a bit so the solutions will penetrate the opening a bit.

I figured that would get inside the bourdon tube and never come out.... For stuff like this I usually just use a pair of vice grips, twist and pull. Have never had one that wouldn't come out that way, then take a q-tip dipped in vinegar and clean the inside of it out.

I figured that would get inside the bourdon tube and never come out.... For stuff like this I usually just use a pair of vice grips, twist and pull. Have never had one that wouldn't come out that way, then take a q-tip dipped in vinegar and clean the inside of it out.

I don't think I have ever had one survive pliers, although I have also not had one break off inside either. I did run into one that was permanently attached to the SPG. Pliers would have been the end of that SPG.

FW inside the bourdon tube should not hurt anything. I have done that on purpose after a SW flooding and the SPG survived. I also do not mind a little christolube finding its way inside there. Transmits pressure just fine and provides a little corrosion protection.

Should we remove the o-ring before dipping it into a diluted vinegar? Or just dip them altogether?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just put the connection in. Not the whole unit. Doesn't matter about the o-ring. You are going to remove it either way. Doing it now, especially if you plan to reuse the spool, may be best.

The other advantage to buying a new spool is that they come with the o-rings already on. Trying to put those tiny o-rings on that tiny spool can be a real pain.

Remove (an replace) if you have to go to a vinegar bath. Based on the corrosion on the thread, you probably do need the vinegar bath. When I am just giving mine a cleaning, I often just wipe it off and give it a good lubing, reusing (and not removing) the o-rings. They can be a bit of a challenge to remove and are often damaged in the removal process (stabbed with a pick). If you do use the stab technique, make sure you stab from the ambient side of the o-ring to avoid any sealing surface damage. (Think about how seals work to avoid scratching the wrong thing.)

I'm on the phone so can't really see the corrosion on the threads in the picture but it must be bad by the other posts. Guys, Is there any reason he should or shouldn't use a little lube on the threads when he puts it back together to help prevent a recurrence?

I'm on the phone so can't really see the corrosion on the threads in the picture but it must be bad by the other posts. Guys, Is there any reason he should or shouldn't use a little lube on the threads when he puts it back together to help prevent a recurrence?

I thoroughly lube all threaded connections that are not exposed to sand and dirt (like din wheel and yoke screw) or protected by an o-ring (like port plugs). I lube the SPG/hose connection quite heavily as that void fills with water and can not simply be rinsed clean.

Back
Top Bottom